HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Utility update failed - does that matter?

I just upgraded to Vanilla 3.0.1 (http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk)

I ran the /utility/update a couple times but kept getting the "failure" notice. However, I don't really see any errors in my forum.

So, has it upgraded? Does the error matter? How might I get it fixed if it does?

thanks

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Well, as you can imagine, it should not fail... In order to get an idea what is failing, you need to provide us with more information. Enable debugging and tell us what the error message shows

• How do I enable debugging mode?

PS. Sorry for my ignorance.

• Alright debug mode gave me the following notices / errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygbwvtqny33lso0/CSTalk-errors.png?dl=0

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2019

I’m only mobile and can’t type much right now, but I’d recommend checking the additional upgrade instructions linked in the 3.0 release notes.

You have quite a few misnamed/ not matching plugins listed there. I’d start by cleaning those.

EmojiExtender has specific upgrade notes for 3.0

• There is a way to debugging mode.

@LeftBrain did you have any luck in running the update?

I believe the step missing was from here https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/installation/self-hosting/#upgrading

Delete plugins/EmojiExtender. (Directory is now plugins/emojiextender). The addon key is still emojiextender.

• No luck. I deleted the plugins/EmojiExtender folder but still have the error.

I'm not sure what the rest of that means (The addon key is still emojiextender)

It means if you have it enabled in your configuration with the key emojiextender it will work.

Could you share those warning/errors again now that you've remove the plugin?

• Here are the errors / warnings that I get...

Invalid addon key: Signatures 2.

The addon with key Signatures 2 could not be found and will not be started.

The addon with key Tagging could not be found and will not be started.

The addon with key Pockets1 could not be found and will not be started.

includeonce(/home/chemist/publichtml/chemistscorner/cosmeticsciencetalk/plugins/EmojiExtender/class.emojiextender.plugin.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

includeonce(): Failed opening '/home/chemist/publichtml/chemistscorner/cosmeticsciencetalk/plugins/EmojiExtender/class.emojiextender.plugin.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')

include_once(/home/chemist/public_html/chemistscorner/cosmeticsciencetalk/plugins/EmojiExtender/class.emojiextender.plugin.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

include_once(): Failed opening '/home/chemist/public_html/chemistscorner/cosmeticsciencetalk/plugins/EmojiExtender/class.emojiextender.plugin.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')

EmojiExtenderPlugin does not implement Gdn_IPlugin

Could not find file 'custom_default.css' in folder ''.

/home/chemist/public_html/chemistscorner/cosmeticsciencetalk/plugins/RoleBadges/design/RoleBadges.css: LegacyAssetModel::CssPath() with direct paths is deprecated.

There was more information under each error/warning which I could share if you think it's relevant.

thanks

Perry, 44

It looks like your EmojiExtender plugin still has the old folder name. Did you clear your cache?

• I cleared everything in the /cache folder when I upgraded.

Those messages surely come from entries in your conf/config.php:

The addon with key Signatures 2 could not be found and will not be started.

The addon with key Tagging could not be found and will not be started.

The addon with key Pockets1 could not be found and will not be started.

Just to be sure you should delete the references in the conf/config.php to the emojiExtender and (as charrondev already said) delete /cache/addon.php

Since you are using the RoleBadges plugin, I assume you also use YAGA. Disable YAGA and retry. If the update fails again, deactivate all other plugins and retry. Then enable one plugin by the other again.

• Ah, I was not aware that I had to edit the config.php file.

Now when I run the updater it takes me to the dashboard and gives the following message.

alter table `GDN_UserAuthenticationNonce`
    -- [Existing: `Timestamp` timestamp not null default current_timestamp, New: `Timestamp` timestamp not null]
    change `Timestamp` `Timestamp` timestamp not null;

alter table `GDN_UserAuthenticationToken`
    -- [Existing: `Timestamp` timestamp not null default current_timestamp, New: `Timestamp` timestamp not null]
    change `Timestamp` `Timestamp` timestamp not null;

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''
    where `Permissions` <> '';

insert `GDN_UserMeta` 
    (`UserID`, `Name`, `Value`) 
    values ('0', 'stubcontent.record.locale', 'en');

Great! Just run that. The upper three messages will not stop re-appearing whenever yue scan for needed changes, but that's no problem at all.

• LeftBrainLeftBrain ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Ok, success.

I'm not sure what happened but I just went to the /utility/update and this time I got the success message. Problem solved.

I think the key takeaway is : You might have to edit your config.php file