HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

phpBB Private Messages -> Vanilla tool?

Hello!

First, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question, but considering I'll need to develop something if a tool doesn't exist, I wanted to check here first.

I'm in the process of testing a move from phpBB to Vanilla with a large forum of around 25 million posts. With a few modifications, Porter has done a great job of creating the main export file. I was surprised to see that private messages don't appear to be addressed by Porter (unless I'm missing something). I have around 1 million of those.

So my question is: does a phpBB private message exporter exist? If not, would it be most sensible to extend Porter with the functionality I need?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Looking into the particular Porter package here: https://github.com/vanilla/porter/blob/master/packages/phpbb3.php

I now see that PM table is accounted for but not getting exported for me for some reason - I'll dig in a bit and try to figure out why.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@soviet9k: Did you manage to run the migration properly?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I did! We're still working on the ultimate migration plan, but I realized that our phpBB schema modifications (changing some columns to utf8mb4) to allow native emoji was at the root of the problem. The full import on a well-tuned 16 core machine still took around 12 hours and the bulk of that time is spent doing the re-insert from temp tables to the fully-indexed comments table. It could definitely be sped up by adding indexes after the import but that might cause other issues, so I think we'll just plan for transition to take a full day.