HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Want to design the forum for my need

I have ver 2.8.1 and i want to design it to my design needs.

Where do i change the main forums Table Variables?

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The best approach is to use the theme boilerplate. You can read more about that here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/theme-boilerplate/

Although you are "forced" to learn a few things about some built tools, it has the advantage that styling special elements like e.g. tables becomes quite easy because the css source is split into files which gives you the opportunity to work exactly on the elements you need

• Sounds pretty good on the paper, but in the reality the boiler theme is far away from to be perfect, and in my opinion there are alot things which should be fixed.. I mean, just watch the usage of dom sizes in the code of the boiler theme..

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@prot0n it's not perfect, but I'd say it is the best start: it is well structured and if you assign your customizations on that you can benefit from fixes that this boilerplate still gets. As you can see on GitHub, the boilerplate is still worked on and improved.

Even if you prefer to base your theme on the Keystone theme the real base will be the boilerplate because the Keystone theme only enhances the boilerplate.

But if your point was something about css techniques, I'm the wrong person to talk to. I do not have enough knowledge about that 🙄

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

Hello everyone! It has been a while since I posted and used Vanilla. I didn't want to start a new discussion so I'll ask here...

Do any of you know a theme developer familiar with Vanilla? I would love to give Vanilla a chance again. Thanks a bunch!

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

I wish we could have done more. A lot of the CSS selectors are terrible. The primary reason for this though was backwards compatibility. The team is working on a long term goal of rebuilding a lot Vanilla pages 1 at a time, but the reality is that there is almost a decade of existing Vanilla themes, OSS and Cloud that all depend on the existing HTML structure of Vanilla.

At the time most of the work was done for it, we didn't have the opportunity or time to make any deeper changes.

I worked on the Vanilla Pro Services team as a theme developer for a year before joining the product development team. I also created a large chunk of Theme Boilerplate/Keystone. AMA.