HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

3.0.2 - Rich text editor is slow [fixed in 3.1]

jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭
edited July 2019 in Feedback

I am quoting feedback given by a bunch of my users in the title, and I agree, the rich text editor crawls in Firefox and Chrome and Edge on desktop environments. It's much better on mobile. Debugging suggests it's doing a lot of expensive rendering operations. I know it's not my site because it crawls even as I type this message on the Vanilla support forum.

Is there awareness of this amongst the Vanilla devs? Are there plans to make the rich editor performant enough to be usable on desktops?

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I can second that for Mobile Safari on iOS on a recent iPhone XR. Lagging when typing as well as full browser crashes.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The best way to make devs aware of issues is by creating an issue on GitHub. But in this case, there is not only an issue, but alredy a fix: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/pull/9012

• jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

@R_J haha, I started this thread before that issue was created! I did check GitHub first. I posted here first because to report a GitHub issue I feel I have to be able to state clearly the technical nature of the problem, and at the time I didn't really know, I just had anecdotal evidence. But I apologise nonetheless, I'm a software engineer I ought to know better :P

I'll merge the PR you linked and see if it fixes my issue and report back here.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

No need for any apologies!

That performance problem is annoying me for weeks and I haven't created an issue on GitHub - that's embarrassing...

• jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

Update: rolled out editor fresh from master branch and it is performing much better, and a number of users who had previously had trouble are all reporting an improvement too.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2019

I came back from vacation and it drove my batty. I fixed it up and it will be out with Vanilla 3.1 today as well as numerous other bug fixes and features.

It should also be rolled out to this forum (and most of vanilla cloud too).

• KasparKaspar Moderator
    edited July 2019

Experiencing this here on OSS right now.

It hangs for about a minute.

Don't know whether OSS is updated to 3.1

Edit: it happens when it saves the draft

Edit2: this time it is over 3 minutes.

Meanwhile I tested on my forum, saves draft in half a second, did not even stutter in the text I was entering.

This forum is on the same commit as the 3.1 branch. I haven't been able to reproduce it myself yet, but as soon I have reproduction steps I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

I will try to recreate.

I did have a couple pages with oss open.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Sry, cannot replicate but it did not save draft either - waited several minutes.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Had no issue today either.