HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum too quiet these days

AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Banter

Sorry I cant find the proper category for this post. I just find it weird that my comment is still on top position of the discussion page as of writing.

Unlike 9yrs back. sure was very active/busy . Anything I missed?

Comments

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

I'm not 100% sure myself. We've definitely had some releases that got delayed too much and that certainly doesn't help the community. It's interesting though because development of Vanilla has never been more active.

We've almost tripled the size of our developer team in the past year, and gotten a lot more productive on top of that.

I will note though, that just because the community itself has less comments doesn't mean Vanilla is less used. Thousands of previous threads and Github issues, as well as much better documentation mean it can be far easier to get assistance with a lot of issues with a quick google search. The most popular categories here are the help categories by far so that's part of it too.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Cool congrats with the expansion! Indeed, I've seen a lot of improvements from security, stability and feature enhancements, probably because my forum came from 2.0 :D

VanillaForum is truly an awesome piece of software and thank you for keeping the fire burning and never getting tired of supporting the open source community :)

Even though, I'm doing less coding now, I will try to be hangout again and see where I can lend a hand.

• Much better documentation??

This might come across as a tad rude, and maybe off-topic, but I've found the documentation awful. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

A big forum I help administer on will soon be switching to Vanilla. Being the kind of person who likes to get a head-start, and who likes to know how every single option works, I installed a Vanilla and have looked through every video on Youtube and every help article at vanillaforums.com/help/. It's never clear what option is available only on the cloud version so I'm looking all over for stuff that's not there. Screenshots and instructions are often obviously for a previous version and reference things that have been moved to different places and menus. I've basically been googling and searching the blog to fill in the gaps for a lot of details.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

@id2d i think if you were to compare now vs last 9yrs ago , it's has definitely improved a lot or a bit ? :P

Back those days , one will answer you in the forum "GREP is your friend!" . Go dig it our yourself. haha

but I do understand your pain when searching for an answer, just endure, if you know php programming, it's no big deal.

Most of the time you will end up fixing it yourself.

@id2d We use these banners in the docs to indicate cloud only features.

If you see an article that's missing one you can hit the little edit icon on the right and file an issue on the repo, or make a pull request adding it.

Part of the issue is with so many plugins a developer writing documentation might not be aware of which parts are open source and which parts are not.

• There are quite a few. Warnings and Notes for example mentions options and features I can't find.

Someone at Vanilla could probably be able to go through this reasonably quickly and check what's missing a banner. For a newbie like me it's not so simple because I've got to go round and round in circles seeing if the option has moved, it's part of a plugin I haven't enabled, or if I'm just being an idiot and not seeing something under my nose.

This will be done once we complete our documentation migration.

We're currently in the middle of migrating the public docs into our knowledge base. https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb

Currently ~50% of the content has been migrated, but we still need to migrate the rest of the content and add redirects. Unfortunately in the meantime it's a bit confusing for all involved.

Things should be better in the next few weeks though.