HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Edit Role - Purpose of "Default Type" dropdown?

On the Dashboard's Edit Role page there is a dropdown labeled "Default Type" where you can "Select the default type for this role, if any." What exactly does this do?

I expected it to apply the permissions of the selected role. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comments

• Options

I've been searching all over for an answer to this.

Can't find anything in the documentation.

I thought this would immediately check the boxes to mimic the default type. Nope.

Then I thought maybe it would give that role the background same permissions as the default role. But apparently not because if I assign the new role alone to the member, they only get the powers ticked in this new role.

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

Oddly enough I didn't know myself, and ended up filing this issue.

One of our CSMs had some notes though and they were the following:

Default Type : This is an optional setting – it is not required for every role and should only be used in special circumstances.

Select a default type only if you wish to automatically assign your role to users:

MEMBER: All users who register to your community

GUEST: Guest users – i.e. users who are not logged in

UNCONFIRMED: Users who have not yet confirmed their email address – this role is assigned to new users when you have Email Confirmation enabled

APPLICANT: Users who have applied for membership - this role is assigned to new users when you use the Approval Registration method, and will also be applied to users who are required to apply for membership as a security measure – these will be users who have been reported to Stop Forum Spam as potential spammers. Read more about this here.r

MODERATOR and ADMINISTRATOR: Assign these to your role……I dont know about this one at all, seems they dont do anything.

• Options

Definitely needs to be clarified. I still don't have a clue what it does.

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@id2d It's essentially used if you want that role to be automatically assigned to users in certain scenarios.

Basically if a role has the default role of guest non-signed in users will get that role & it's permission. In this way you can create custom roles that apply to guest users. The same goes for each of the other users.