HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Confused about current Wordpress/Vanilla SSO plugin setup.

Long Version

Is this https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product/how-to-use-vanilla-forums-with-wordpress still the advised method for SSO between the latest version (5.2.2) of Wordpress and Vanilla (3.1). I see the JSConnect plugin is still offered (not in legacy/sunset or whatever you want to call it) but I also see that OAuth2 SSO ships with Vanilla 3.x

I did query this early on in 3.x development however I think it was lost in the mix - if we are to use OAuth2 SSO plugin then the article would appear outdated and as a byproduct the documentation too - from memory a required field (token url?) is not documented so I'm unsure do I use JSConnect or OAuth2 SSO ?

Short Version

Latest version of Vanilla and Wordpress - Do I use OAuth2 SSO Plugin or JSConnect - if OAuth2 can I get some help with the required fields (or a link to an existing article)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

This blog post has screenshots from the old dashboard but maybe it will be helpful? I've never configured it myself though.

• Options

I suspect you skimmed my post above - but based on your response JSConnect is still the valid method for connecting the Wordpress plugin to Vanilla

• Options

Ah yes. Sorry I didn't dive too deep into it. My understanding is we haven't made any changes in that process since that article was made. While likely possible to do an OAuth2 connection, I don't know of a particular site currently doing it. Maybe @nervoustwit would know more.

• Options

@charrondev no stress, we all get busy, appreciated the time it took to engage on the subject.

For the sake of others that may stumble on this subject with a similar issue to myself, the process of Wordpress -> Vanilla (it's a one way sync so far as I can tell (and not so much of a sync as a single "push here is a user") is fairly easy to setup however you need the JSConnect plugin which is not bundled with Vanilla Forums (https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/jsconnect-plugin) as well as the Wordpress Vanilla Forums Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/vanilla-forums/)

install the wordpress plugin, install the vanilla plugin and follow the blog post above (it's old but works)

although to be honest I didn't really need to blog post it's fairly self explanatory - although I honestly wish an automagic approach was done here - by that I mean in wordpress you are presented with a welcome screen asking for the blog url, it takes that plus your admin login, logs into the forum then triggers the JSConnect plugin to do all the "complex" stuff

Additionally it should be noted the Wordpress plugin does have the worrying "This plugin hasn’t been tested with the latest 3 major releases of WordPress. ...." on the plugin screen - so far as I can see the github repository has not moved in a year but the plugin does work just fine.

• Options

We updated the wordpress plugin 2 months ago although that was a security fix.

It hasn't been actively tested with the latest versions of WordPress though. To be honest the plugin could use a new maintainer as I don't think we or any of our cloud clients are actively using it.

By this open issue on the repo we have a reported issue with Wordpress 5.2.2.

If you run into it and are able to fix it/workaround it your input would be appreciated.