HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Clean install but migration posts and users

Johnwth1nJohnwth1n New
edited August 2019 in Vanilla 3.x Help

I experience various issues with the upgrade to 3.1 version. I believe that has something to do with my previous update to 2.8 release, I notice that the forum didn't even support the new friendly URLs. When I upgrade it, if I remember correct from 2.6 or 2.4, I didn't know exactly what are the new features, so I didn't notice that I use the old URL system.  

The routes system isn't working also. My config.php, I believe, is very old. Generally, I don't know how to handle all that mess.

So I thought maybe it is better to install a clean 3.1 and migrate my post, users, and why not the theme and some settings.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

So create a clean install, point your new install to your old DB, clear cache, and run yourforum/utility/update.

• Johnwth1nJohnwth1n New
    edited August 2019

I deleted the root folder of my vanillaforum setup, I upload the folder of the 3.1 version. When the upload finished, through the install webpage, I pointed it to my old vanilla database.

I tried to run the domain.tld/utility/structure and the /utility/update, but I see the classic "404 Not Found" on both scripts. I also notice that the URL system is still the same (like "/index.php?p=/discussion/27/"), as well as various bugs, like my attachments.

Edit: I did one more test. I remove-clean the root folder again; I reupload 3.1 version files, but this time I create new testing database. Again the URL system is the old one, the scripts utility/update and utility/structure show a "404 Not Found" message!

What do you think is going wrong?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Add that line at the bottom of the /conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true;

As long as you do not have enabled pretty urls, you can access /utility/update and /utility/structure with index.php&p=/utility... but in the end you will need that. Look if there is a file called .htaccess in the root of your Vanilla installation. If not, rename the file ".htaccess.dist" to ".htaccess"

If you are working with the apache web server and have added the line shown above, the links in your forum should look like they are looking here at this forum