HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

After (a few) upgrades - weird characters

donovanbdonovanb
edited August 2019 in Vanilla 3.x Help

Vanilla 3.0.2

Hello, this probably has to do with possible different WYSIWYG settings over the years...

Some of the older posts now contain weird characters, for example:

I’ve been searching and here’s what I’ve come up with. Please let me know if these 300HP engine upgrades will do it for you!

"Post Format" is set at Markdown.

What might be the best way to deal with this?

Thanks!

Donovan

Comments

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

Hmm. My first though would be to check in the DB and see if they're actually encoded that way.

We run all of our DBs as UTF8-MB4 (and you'll want to as well if you want emojis & internal characters to ever appear correctly).

If you've got mucked up data, you can clone the tables, and update all the bodies/titles to fix improperly encoded characters, bring over the most recent updates, them rename the tables to fix it with minimal downtime.

• Options

Okay, thanks.

• Options

I had this issue when I converted a small Vanilla forum hosted on Windows to a Linux one. Both the initial and second DBs have had UTF8-MB4. Could've probably been an issue with the mysqldump command and forgetting to put --default-character-set=utf8mb4, which could possibly be necessary. Since it was a small forum, I just went through and replaced the text manually.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app