HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to set default category permissions

Is there a way to set the default category permissions in Vanilla 3.2?

I want to have file uploads enabled by default for all categories that have the "This Category has custom permissions" disabled. Is there a way to do this? I looked through the Vanilla config file, and through the source code, but I couldn't find anything that contained the default settings. The closest thing I found was $category['AllowFileUploads']in class.editor.plugin.php, but I'm not sure if there is a way to set to $category['AllowFileUploads'] true by default.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KasparKaspar Moderator

Enabling "Advanced Editor" in Dashboard > Plugins will give you "Allow File Uploads" under a categorys custom permissions.

If "Advanced Editor" is disabled you will not see "Allow File Uploads"

Wanna use "Rich Editor" not "Advanced Editor"?

Leave "Advanced Editor" enabled and then under Dashboard > Posting:

• Options
    KasparKaspar Moderator

What you found relates to putting

$Configuration['Garden']['AllowFileUploads'] = true;

In

conf/config.php

Lets call that the manual way ;-)

• Options

Thanks Kaspar!

We have working file uploads, but we have to edit the categories and enable "This Category has custom permissions" before files can be uploaded. Is there a way to allow file uploading without needing to set custom permissions for each category? Or do we need to enable file uploads in each individual category through the custom permissions? I was hoping there was a setting so we could just add custom permissions for categories we do not want to have uploads, rather than having to add custom permissions for all categories we want to have uploads.

Thanks again! 🙂

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2019

I think what you are looking for is the default Vanilla set up.

It's what we have on our site, with the Uploads permission checked for Members, and no other special measures taken.

Do your members currently have that permission?

• Options

I think members have upload permission. This is what the Garden permissions look like for Members:

As far as I can tell, it seems "Uploads" are enabled. The AttachmentsUpload plugin also has "Allow" enabled, if that helps. We are using the AdvanceEditor for posts, with the format set to Markdown.

Maybe the issue is in the SQL database? The forums were ported from Vanilla 2.2 to Vanilla 2.8, and then recently ported to 3.2, which is when we started having issues. Maybe I missed a step in the upgrade process? I ran utility/update and utility/structure but maybe there is another step I missed...