HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Rotate Discussions

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to automatically change the position of discussions in the home page. What I mean by that is that I automatically sometimes want discussions on a page other than the first one to suddenly be in the first page.

I am using Vanilla version 3.3

Comments

• If you announce the discussion it gets a prioritized sort position

• Farid_AFarid_A New
    edited November 2019

I know. What I am basically trying to do automatically, like every half an hour, is take all the discussions in the first page, put them in a different page. Then, take ten other discussions from a different page, and put them in the first one.

I believe changing the time of the last comment in a discussion page will get me what I want. The only problem is that I do not know how to do that.

I am gonna try adding some Php code using HTMLEdit to randomly select discussions, and change their time of last comment.

• Ah!

I had a mind to make me a plugin that does similar: to feature some 6 or so of my discussions in whatever order I chose ..

I will share when I flesh this out. Hopefully someone will get to it faster.

Cheers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

My opinion as a forum user on that: I would feel tricked and annoyed.

If the idea behind that is to put some discussions in the focus of users, why not create some "Featured Discussions" module or a "Recommended Discussions" below or above normal discussions?

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Take a look at the DiscussionAlert plugin and see if it already works for you (haven't tested it on the recent version)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi Farid,

I know you are looking for a plugin but here is our take on this. We have community based rule that asks user to dig up older but helpful discussions on every friday. It became a good habit, it makes sense to work on specific community habits or engage particular users like moderators with this job.

There is also a plugin called “BUMP” that you could open to specific user groups to shoot discussions to the first page without a comment.

Although I read Vanilla will abandon it if I recall correctly.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Thanks phreak about the BUMP plugin.

The reason for this endeavor is because my site is very new and I am afraid of users leaving it due to lack of activity.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Please be aware that Bump changes the discussion dates (you get the bump effect because of the default sorting order by dates).