HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Still signed into Vanilla forum after Wordpress Signout (jsConnect plugin)

Hi All - I have Vanilla 3.3 embedded into my site at www.boltthebird.com/forums/ and I have jsConnect working correctly... for the most part.

Registering and signing into my wordpress site also registers and signs a user into the embedded Vanilla forum. However, when a user signs out of the wordpress site (using a Logout button in the wordpress main nav), the user is still signed into the forum.

Do you have any thoughts on how I can get the two-way sync working with SignOut as it already does for Register/Sign In?

Comments

• Any thoughts on this? I understand that I need to expire the cookie "Vanilla" via javascript, but am not savvy enough to solve this myself, unfortunately. I am hoping to use the Pockets plugin to do so, so that I do not need to modify core files. Thanks again.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I never used it. But from looking at the docs I would suggest you try the WordPress plugin

There is this snippet in the docs:

How is sign-out handled?

We bounce them to your sign-in page after they sign-out on the forum. To do the opposite, redirecting users through our sign-out page, again passing a Targetparameter so they finish where you want them to.

Based on that I would say you have to change how signing out in your application works.

1. After signing out catch where users normally would be redirected (for example: yourcms.com/home)
    2. Change that link to yourcms.com/vanilla/entry/signout?Target=/home
  • Thanks @R_J , I did try to implement steps 1 and 2 above. I found where my app is signing out, and tried to change the redirect link to

"https://www.boltthebird.com/vanilla/entry/signout?Target=www.boltthebird.com"

The user is getting signed out wordpress, but am getting a Page Not Found 404. The user is not signed out of Vanilla forum.

You said: "www.boltthebird.com/forums/"

I said: yourcms.com/vanilla/entry/signout?Target=/home

You've mixed it to: www.boltthebird.com/vanilla/entry/signout?Target=www.boltthebird.com

I would try: www.boltthebird.com/forums/entry/signout?Target=www.boltthebird.com

😀

Oh, following your link from above, I would say it must be either

www.boltthebird.com/forums/#/entry/signout or

www.boltthebird.com/forum/entry/signout

• @R_J Getting close! I'm using:

"https://www.boltthebird.com/forums/#/entry/signout?Target=https://www.boltthebird.com"

The user is now signed out from both the site/app, as well as the Vanilla forum!

The (small) issue now is that they are directed to my homepage within the forum embed (so it looks like a site within a site). How can I properly get them to the homepage alone (www.boltthebird.com) instead of www.boltthebird.com/forums/ with www.boltthebird.com embedded? Thanks again!

• @R_J Thought I'd follow up once more to see if you had any thoughts on the redirect above. Otherwise, thanks much for your help to get this far.

The only thing I can think of is quite ugly. You can make sure that your page is not loaded in a frame by including

if (top.location != location) {
        top.location.href = document.location.href ;
      }

in each page of your CMS.

At least I guess it would work, it is what has been a result of searching the net. You could also use a dummy landing page which loads your homepage in the top frame. Just search the net for something like that. Then you can use that dummy page as the link for the logout.