HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

2.6 to 3.3 or New Install?

Hello again everyone,

I was sparrowhawk66 before, but my account got reset (for inactivity?).

Anyway, I am still on 2.6, which is pretty stable, but I don't want to stay to far behind, so I'm wondering if it's easier to upgrade to the newest version or make a new install?

The present site content is not of utmost importance. I just need a stable install to resume forum activity.

Please advise.

Happy 2020 to all!

Tagged:

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited January 2020

@sparrowhawk

In your position I would

a), b), and (c, backup your live DB, and possibly the uploads folder.

Once that is done, I would go for an update to the latest version of Vanilla, taking care to follow any instructions in the readme file(s).

Chances are you will have no issue, or that if you do, the issue has already been dealt with on a thread here. Worst case, you can do a clean install, and just point config.php to the old DB.

There are lots of threads about how to do this.

• @whu606

Would you go straight to 3.3 or via some intermediate stages?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I'd go straight to 3.3, but check the README for any intervening versi.ons

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭

FYI: I upgraded a Vanilla Forums 2.0.18.4 version to the newest 3.3 version - quite successful and quick. However, I had an issue to resolve manually (in the database) with attaching Images in Activities/Posts/Comments; it's documented over on GitHub:

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/9906

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

As a followup to this, I have a PR that should make it in into the 4.0 release that will fix this upgrade problem automatically. To manually work around all that's required is to delete that extra column though.

• Hi Olivier, what path did you follow? Migrate from one version to another until you were at 3.3? I have a 2.0.14 forum that I want to revive. I only care about the content, not so much about the rest. Ideally I would install the latest Vanilla version and then import the old database.