HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum is running super slow - any troubleshooting ideas?

I've been running this forum on Vanilla for probably over 10 years.

In switching over to https the website started running real slow. I tried everything I could think of and have upgraded following instructions but I can't figure out why it runs slow.

Any idea on how I might fix it or even why it runs slow?

thanks

Perry, 44

Comments

• If you have firefox on desktop or laptop, press f12 then reload your site, you have all sorts of problems with 301's 404's and scripts.

• Sorry click network tab after f12 compare your site to this site, this is all green 200

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

That was exactly the right approach.

@LeftBrain

In the head of your site you find that piece of code:

<script type="text/javascript">
    document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="//ax-d.pixfuture.net/w/1.0/jstag"><\/scr'+'ipt>');
    </script>

The result is this:

That advertising service is breaking your sites performance

• what R_J said

That advertising service is breaking your site's performance

In web poetry ...

That devastating service is marring your site's brilliance

@LeftBrain I just turned off JavaScript on my browser and your site proves faster than my clicking speed ....

Now, go do great things ...

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited January 2020

As said there are several scripts in place that slow down your forums performance. On top of that a faster server, CSS Minification (https://vanillaskins.com/plugins.html#cssMinificator) and other OnPage SEO efforts could help speed it up.

Get more information on whats slows down your site with Google Pagespeed Insights or GTMetrix.com.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Ah ha! That fixed it. Thank you so much! Blasted ad service.