HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why do you want to join disable

edited January 2020 in Vanilla 3.x Help

Hi all,

Trying to figure out how to disable and remove the "why do you want to join", it is impeding some users to register successfully, registration just hangs on that

This is for a very fresh 1st time install of Vanilla 3.3 onto an Ubuntu 18.04/Nginx/Mysql/PHP7.3.

I found a couple of "fixes" on this forums, but is was for a very old version of vanilla, and the fixes did not help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Comments

• KasparKaspar Moderator

I do not know why it would hang but the question is due to "Approval" being selected in:

Dashboard/settings/registration

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Not sure if this will work: try to alter the column DiscoveryText in the GDN_User table in your database. Give it a default value of "Just because", "Dummy", " ", or whatever, but not an empty string.

Then simply use some CSS to hide that field during registration.

If that works, great! But you would need to change the database field after each /utility/update or /utility/structure

If that will not work, you need a custom plugin for that.

• edited January 2020

Thanks guys,

I will try that fix, and report back, but in the settings, it is set to basic

Regards

• oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭

Yeah I can confirm that changing the registration method from the Admin UI won‘t remove the „why do you want to join“-field - because I tried that as well in order to get rid of it.

Saying so, I do also vote to have an option to disable this particular field from the registration screen and not having to hack something together in the DB and CSS to remove it.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@oliverraduner Are you sure? Could it have just been that the registration page was cached? I think we have a 2 minute default cache time for signed out users, so if you changed it, then went and visited the registration page, you might have still seen it.

A quick way to bypass the cache if you don't want to wait 2 minutes would be to just add some random query to the end of your registration URL for testing. Eg. /entry/register?abcd.

@charrondev well what type of Signup method would remove the field, while still allowing anyone to signup?

• KasparKaspar Moderator

"Basic"

Okay can confirm that the „Why Do you want to join“-field is gone (Vanilla Forums 3.3) when changing signup method to Basic

• I do want to approve registrations, so I have selected "Approval" in the registration settings.

Is there any way I can still get rid of the "Why do you want to join question?"

I find that question pretty useless.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You will have to change two things:

1. hide the field with css
    2. write a simple plugin which makes this field not required any more

That plugin just needs to have one method (untested but should be working):

public function entryController_registerValidation_handler($sender) {
        $sender->UserModel->Validation->unapplyRule('DiscoveryText', 'Required');
    }