HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to display category "descriptions" below category name V3.3?

Hello, I'm admittedly not much of a coder, but I've been learning a bit through my experience in implementing my Vanilla forum.

I'm trying to display the category description below my category title for all categories, in order to suggest to my users how each category is intended to be used. I have had no luck figuring out a way to do this.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• If you go into the Dashboard and Settings. Here you can edit your categories and add descriptions that will show below the title of the category. This is the default behavior of the Keystone theme unless you are using a custom one

• Thanks so much. I had assumed that would have been the case, but while I am using Keystone, the descriptions aren't showing

• can you take a screenshot and show us

• Sure! here you go:

It's a simple example, but note how, in this instance, the simple caption "Communications from the Board" is not displayed on the page.

Thanks again

• What theme do you have applied? This does not look like the default one.

• It's Keystone, with the sole change to the window BG color. This issue was exhibiting from my initial install, however.

Another issue I've been having, I should note (in the event there is a link), is that My Rich Editor plugin makes my Comment boxes disappear immediately after pages load. I had to switch to "Advanced Editor" for normal page behavior.

• It looks like you have Mixed Layout enabled. Go to Console → Layout and change Mixed to Modern Layout.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You would need either a custom theme or a plugin for that. The basic functionality is trivial, but explaining would be quite complex. Therefore I simply threw together the required lines to a very small plugin:

You might want to change the css to beautify it. I'm no designer...

Do something good to someone you do not know to "pay" for that service 😉

• Thanks so much for that. Unfortunately, when I switch to modern mode, my formatting is altered in a way that I'm not in love with.

R_J, Thank you so, so much. This was awfully generous of you. I will certainly pay the generosity forward. For now, I'm getting a "Call to a member function getInfo() on null" notification when I try to activate the plugin. I'll continue poking around with it. Like I said, I'm a bit out of my depths with all of this. I'm learning a lot as I go, however, so thank you all for your help.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Sounds like the folder name is incorrect. The file structure must be

/plugins/category-description/addon.json

And so on.

If that doesn't work, add the line    "className": "CategoryDescriptionPlugin", to the addon.json and delete the file /cache/addon.php

• Thanks a million, R_J! The second solution solved everything for me. Again, I deeply appreciate the help!

Stay well, everyone