HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why are tags set to a limit of 5?

Vanilla forum 3.1

When adding tags to a discussion, I am constrained to a limit of just 5.

I noticed the config file can be changed to another number but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Was there a reason why it was set to 5?

For my particular community, we definitely need more than 5, so I'd love to know how this can be changed, and what the impact would be within the mySQL table structure.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Adding $Configuration['Vanilla']['Tagging']['Max'] = 13; to /conf/config.php works for me.

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

That worked. Awesome, cheers!

• Here is another very dirty trick which I think exits because of a bug ... but don't tell anyone ... it has its fun usage.

In discussion list, you can add as many tags as you want. After the first five, hit save, repeat the procedure.

I was bored one day and entered as many tags as my burnt-out keyboard would let me hehehehe - call me a power user

• Hello all!

I want to limit the tags to 5, but currently all tags are showing in the right panel, I tried @R_J's solution by adding the code $Configuration['Vanilla']['Tagging']['Max'] = 5; in the /conf/config.php file but it didn't work.

Please help.

Kind Regards

No, please don't tell me you have used exactly that line above and you are wondering why the maximum is still 5? 🤣

Sorry...

Try a higher number in the config.

How embarrassing, I totally misunderstood you. I leave my comment above untouched to remember myself that I can be a total idiot sometimes, but please ignore it: it's bullshit 😳

• I think there is some confusion, I want to limit the tags to 5, but all the available tags are showing in the right panel (currently there are 24 tags)

• Everyone in this community knows who you are @R_J 😉 And the post title might be the root cause of the confusion 🤣

Okay got it now... 😁

That is hard coded in the class.tagmodule.php

There is no clean way to change that. You can make your own plugin from the code you can find there and that would be a nice option if you would like to learn how Vanilla works internally

But in such a case I would simply alter that file

• Thank you so much! Could you please tell me which line should I edit or add in the file?

But if you like to learn something: I owe you one. We can go together on how to approach this and make this a fine plugin with bells and whistles: config key, settings, and a dedicated view and not that mixture of code and HTML which is used in the original module

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

@testing3 the code change above has nothing to do with the right side panel. It's to do with the amount of tags that you add when you are creating a discussion. The tag field is right at the bottom, but just above where you click the post discussion button.

• That's very kind of you @R_J 🙂 Unfortunately, I'm not a developer and don't know much about the coding languages, my knowledge is limited to searching solutions of the problem and then editing the related files 😃 But that would be a nice plugin 👍️

Kind Regards

• Hi @manticore789,

Thanks for the info, I just noticed and found that all the tags are showing on the bottom of the "Creating a Discussion" page 😲 And the above code is not working for that as well.

edited December 2020

Search that file for something with "limit('25')" and change that number to 5 (or whatever)

• Thank you so much! That worked like a charm 🙂

Kind Regards