HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Trying to upgrade from 2.61 to 3.3 - "something went wrong" on dashboard, now HTTP ERROR 500

I tried upgrading from 2.61 to 3.3. It seemed to go fine until I tried to access the dashboard and got the "something went wrong" error.

I tried enabling the default config file, which brought up the Version 3.3 Installer form. That's not what I wanted, so I re-enabled my config file. Now the whole site is down and I'm just getting HTTP ERROR 500.

Any idea where to start?

Tagged:

Comments

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Did you clear the cache folder when you made config changes?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If you had a "something went wrong" (Vanilla has a problem) and now you have a 500 error (a php error occured) and everything you did was changing the config.php, then you have messed up that file, I'd say. But you should have a look at your server logs to find out the reason for that error. Then you should enable debugging for your forum by adding $Configuration['Debug'] = true; to your config.php. Remove that line as soon as you have fixed all problems!

Have you deleted every file that needs to be deleted in that upgrade step?

Have you deleted the content of the cache folder?

Have you run /utility/update?

• Here

[30-Dec-2020 18:29:08 UTC] PHP Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/home/website/public_html/applications/vanilla/' (include_path=':/usr/local/php72/lib/php') in /home/website/public_html/library/core/class.configurationsource.php on line 148

I contacted the webhost and they say it is an issue with scripting:

"basically class.configurationsource.php is calling '/home/website/public_html/applications/vanilla"

"it should be calling a file, not folder."

• I should also mention: I had them upgrade the account to PHP 7.2 because the latest version of Vanilla would not run on my previous PHP version. So I'm wondering if there is some issue with the PHP upgrade.

• Thanks Kaspar - I tried this and still get the 500 error. The cache keeps populating with /locale and addon.php but I assume that's expected behavior.

• Gruss Gott... I did go through that checklist and delete the files, and the contents of the cache folder. I ran /utility/update which initially failed, but then I reloaded the page (as suggested in the instructions and it said "The update was successful." I hope you are right that the config.php is messed up, but all I did was rename the file with a "-" at the end to temporarily disable it, and then re-enabled it.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The answers from hosting providers are always a surprise. First of all: PHP 7.2 has reached its end of life. If they have upgraded you to that version, they are no PHP experts and they don't have to be PHP experts. But they shouldn't offer you server software which might not even get security fixes any more.

Without having a closer look at the class.configurationsource.php, simply from its name and from what you have told, I guess your server cannot get the "configuration source": the config.php file ;-)

You might not have messed it up, but do the access rights are correct? 775 would be okay, I'd say.

• I ended up nuking the old install and rebuilding it. Much easier and quicker...