HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Automatically suggest similar topics

dandvdandv New
edited January 2021 in Feedback

I'm evaluating Vanilla after a long break, vs. Discourse.

Discourse has an extremely useful feature: as the user starts a new topic, the forum suggests similar topics. This vastly cuts down on repetitive topics (we know many users don't search before posting).

Does some version of Vanilla have this feature? I didn't see it running in this instance as I was writing this post.

Comments

• Options
    K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Hi :D to simply answer your question "Do vanilla have this feature": no.

But I think this could be done with some kind of plugin, but it may be hard to do.

• Options
    dandvdandv New
    edited January 2021

I've been managing a Discourse forum since 2015. This has been a killer feature,

• both in saving our moderators time answering FAQs, and
    • enabling our users to find what they were looking for without even asking!

I'm really surprised Vanilla doesn't have this.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is a plugin which gives you an improved search experience and showing related topics is an additonal benefit: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/sphinxsearch-plugin

The plugin requires the forum admin to also set up sphinx search and I'm not sure if that plugin runs with the current version

• Options
    pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

I have Sphinx running on 3.3, so should be fine. Not using the related topics part though. Set up was a little more involved than a regular addon.

• Options
    pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

Tried it on my test forum. Seemed to work fine, but can't comment on how it figures out what's related, since it's a test forum and the content is a little lacking. Here are the options you get:

It was a while ago, but pretty sure I just followed these instructions:

I've had to restart the search daemon two or three times, but other than that it's been fine.

• Options
    K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

@dandv I have used a lot of different forum software and actually have never seen this feature.

But, for sure, it could be a great addition.