HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedding an IFrame into my site

mcmcclurmcmcclur New
edited January 2021 in Vanilla 3.x Help

I'm running Vanilla Forums 3.3 on a brand new site to support a class that I'll be teaching this semester here:

I've actually been doing this in other classes for some time and have found it to be a great experience. I'd love to be able to include dynamic content in an IFrame using syntax like so:

<iframe src="https://www.desmos.com/calculator/n1ttxazwfx?embed" width="500px" height="500px" style="border: 1px solid #ccc" frameborder=0></iframe>

My impression is that this should be doable. I have played with the settings extensively and, in particular, I whitelisted www.desmos.com/calculator/* in the Security tab but still haven't been able to get embedding to work.

I wonder if it works here:

<iframe src="https://www.desmos.com/calculator/n1ttxazwfx?embed" width="500px" height="500px" style="border: 1px solid #ccc" frameborder=0></iframe>

Nope

Comments

• pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

You could try setting post format to HTML (it's in the dashboard under Posting settings), but I think iframes might get sanitized, since freely embedding them seems like a security risk.

Do you need the embeds in the actual comments or is just having them on the page enough? If you only need it available somewhere on the page you can use the Pockets addon to embed pretty much anything.

• You could try setting post format to HTML

No, I didn't expect that to work

Do you need the embeds in the actual comments

Yes, the idea is that a users creates dynamic content to illustrate a mathematical idea and then embed that in their post - much like they might include an image.

Makes me wonder - what exactly is the the Security settings referring to? That is, when I see this:

**Trusted Domains**

You can specify a whitelist of trusted domains (ex. yourdomain.com) that are safe for redirects and embedding.

To what type of embedding does that refer?

• To what type of embedding does that refer?

You can embed your forum or just comments into another site. The other site has to be on your trusted domain list.

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

I got it working using Pockets, but no go in Discussions or Comments.