HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migrating from MyBB

2»

Comments

• pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

Have you checked the export file? It's just a zipped text file, so you could unzip it, check the encoding of the file, convert it to UTF-8 if necessary, rezip and try an import?

• meetdilipmeetdilip
    edited February 2021

Yes, I did check the previous export file. It had question marks too, instead of Indic characters.

>check the encoding of the file, convert it to UTF-8

How can I check the encoding of the file ? I am not sure how to convert to UTF-8 either. :(

• meetdilipmeetdilip
    edited February 2021

Update : I opened the file in a text editor and saved it while choosing UTF-8 as the format. But it is still in ???? format.

• pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

Any decent text/code editor (Notepad++, Sublime text, Atom, VS Code etc) should be able to let you mess with the encoding.

• meetdilipmeetdilip
    edited February 2021

gedit shows the exported file as Current Locale (UTF-8) but Indic characters in the file still appear as ????

Thanks.

• Can you post an example of the characters that get turned to question marks here?

Another thing you could try is changing line 4498 in vanila2export.php from

$this->link = new PDO('mysql:host='.$args['dbhost'].';dbname='.$args['dbname'], $args['dbuser'], $args['dbpass']);

to

$this->link = new PDO('mysql:host='.$args['dbhost'].';dbname='.$args['dbname'].';charset=utf8mb4', $args['dbuser'], $args['dbpass']);

before doing another export.

• meetdilipmeetdilip
    edited February 2021

வீட்டிலிருந்து வேலைக்கானஇன்டர்நெட் திட்டங்கள்

घर से काम के लिए इंटरनेट की योजना |

ഓഫിസ് തുറന്നാലും വീട്ടിൽ നിന്ന് ജോലി ചെയാനാണോ താത്പര്യം ?

These are Tamil, Hindi and Malayalam, popular Indian languages.

Another thing you could try is changing line 4498 in vanila2export.php from

Thanks. I will try this.

• Another thing you could try is changing line 4498 in vanila2export.php from

$this->link = new PDO('mysql:host='.$args['dbhost'].';dbname='.$args['dbname'], $args['dbuser'], $args['dbpass']);
    to
    $this->link = new PDO('mysql:host='.$args['dbhost'].';dbname='.$args['dbname'].';charset=utf8mb4', $args['dbuser'], $args['dbpass']);

This change works like a charm. The export file now has the Indic language characters in proper order. I hope the import process will be perfect as well.

• I think at this point we can say that the import is a 100% success. Thanks to all for your help.

Adding this for future reference.