Vanilla 4.0 RC1 is now available
It's been a while, so let's get right to it: today marks the availability of Vanilla 4.0 RC1.
There are more than 900 fixes and features in this release. For now, I won't attempt to list them all here. If you're dying to know, you can checkout the current change log over on GitHub: Vanilla 4.0 RC1 change log. You may also download a built copy of Vanilla from that page (ProTip: search for "vanilla-4.0-rc1.zip", under Assets). For now, I'll hit some key points:
- This is an RC (release candidate). It is not intended for use in production environments. It is pre-release software. Install it in some kind of sandbox and go nuts, but avoid overwriting your existing Vanilla installs. Once we're confident in Vanilla 4.0 on open-source community sites, we'll drop a production-ready release. Future updates probably won't need an RC cycle, but given the length of time since the last release, it seems prudent.
- Vanilla 4.0 requires at least PHP 7.2. It's also the last version that'll support PHP 7.2. Future versions of Vanilla (5.0+) will require PHP 7.4+.
- MySQL 5.7+ is required, starting with Vanilla 4.0.
- Full-text indexes have been disabled by default. You can enable them by adding a
Database.FullTextIndexingkey to your config and setting it to
true. Failure to do this before upgrading to Vanilla 4.0 will result in your full-text database indexes being dropped.
- The Reactions addon has made its way to the open-source project.