HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Delete Category

How do I delete a category in the Admin area? I am clueless.

Comments

• The option to delete does not show up on my Dashboard when clicking to edit a category.

how do I delete them?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

From the overview where you have chosen to edit the category, you could have chosen to delete it instead 😉

• I don’t see where to do that. Here is what I see:

That's weird. Below the "Add Subcategory", there should be an entry "Delete". Your role obviously has the needed permissions (Garden.Community.Manage or Garden.Settings.Manage) or otherwise you wouldn't be able to edit them.

If you hover over the "Edit" button, you should see a number of that category. Is that maybe not a number? Can you access the delete prompt under yourforum.net/vanilla/settings/deletecategory?categoryid=123

• ElleElle New
    edited May 2021

I just checked and for some reason in Vanilla 2021.009 the Delete option is missing in some cases. In Vanilla 3.3 it's there. To me the delete option is missing from the ones I've set as Heading, but changing them doesn't make the the Delete option appear. It must be a bug.

Rj's solution above worked for me.

• Is there a way to fix this so it is added back? When I hoover over and manually go to that link to delete a category that wotks....but how can I get the button back?

@Elle did you do a page reload after changing the display type? The menu is built when the page is loaded and therefore if deleting isn't possible for headings, the option should be there after changing the type and reloading the page

@aaronhall which version are you using? And do you have this problem with every category?

• It’s with every category. I’m using the latest release.

I'm really sorry, but I find no reason for that. The last idea I've got is that something went berserk in your database. Please check GDN_Category and in there the column "CanDelete". It should be 1 for all the categories.

Your webspace hoster most certainly offers you a tool for that, like phpMyAdmin

• did you do a page reload after changing the display type? The menu is built when the page is loaded and therefore if deleting isn't possible for headings, the option should be there after changing the type and reloading the page

Yes, I tried reloading and other things. I created the headings and categories last year and isn't planning to delete anything. I just wanted to check if I had the same issue. I'm fine with doing it the way you posted above if I need to :)

• you can change php version to PHP 7.4 (ea-php74)

• Changed php version but still no luck. Installed latest Vanilla 2021.012 but no solution. This question has been asked in this forum many times. But still no solution I see anybody received.