HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to disable search box in Vanilla 4

Hi how i can disable wide search box on theme Foundation ?

I use in css this code, but i dont know is good. This searchbox hide so its is right method ?

div.vanilla-zkzqdo-banner-textAndSearchContainer {

display: none;

}

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited May 2021

That is very, very easy with Vanillas new theming system. You should read about it here: https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/370-theme-variable-reference

Since the theme editor is only available on the SaaS version, you need to look for the "File Based Themes". If you are impatient and don't want to read that much, here is a short guide what to do.

CREATE YOUR OWN THEME! This is absolutely needed. Don't be lazy and try to avoid that. You will regret that later on!

1. Copy /addons/themes/theme-foundation to /addons/themes/fancy
    2. Edit /addons/themes/fancy/addon.json: you MUST replace the line "key": "theme-foundation" with "key": "fancy". You SHOULD change "name", "description" and "authors". Don't touch the rest for now
    3. Edit /addons/themes/fancy/assets/variables.neon: search for # hideSearch: false, and make it hideSearch: true, (the "#" sign must be removed and "false" must be changed to "true")
    4. Go to the dashboard and activate theme "fancy"

Easy as that :-)

Browse through the variables.neon file and you will find other interestingly easy ways to customize the theme. If you do not find what you are looking for, read the article that I have linked to above. If you still got questions, ask them in the forum. But the theming system is quite new, at least for me. It might take longer to get an answer, sorry.

By the way: please, please, please don't touch any existing files! Vanilla should be customized by adding files and changing those added files. The only exception for that are files in the /conf folder. There might be reasons to edit one of the files in there, but really no other files. I know you have been told so already, but I know it is tempting to quickly hack the code directly and therefore I thought I will just repeat it here...

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭
    edited May 2021

When i create my own theme like @R_J said, i can't use the right clic mouse (3 dots) on the right of the discussion...Any idea?

if i switch to the official theme-foundation theme, right click menu works like a charm...

• Mark1Mark1 New
    edited May 2021

Thanks @R_J

Its ok this method

Or this

• Ah... sorry i forget to key fancy. Now it works :)

• Mark1Mark1 New
    edited May 2021

Ah.. so i do it and this theme looks weird... Absolutely dont know where is problem, its clear installation, and only one thing what i do is make this own template without any edit.

original looks this..

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. There seems to be some build steps needed after changing that variables.neon file so that the corresponding /dist/forum/addons/theme-fancy.* files would be created.

The process seems to be described here: https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/166-vanillas-frontend-build-system

The main problem I see here are the following: 1. you need to set up a working toolchain which is working best on Linux and 2. the machine where you run such tools shouldn't be the same where your live forum will be. Even for the slightest changes, which is a major pain in the ass...

@Bleistivt have you had a look at the theming system already and can you confirm that such an effort really is needed any time you want to change anything?

• Mark1Mark1 New
    edited May 2021

Ah.. also, is a composer needed to make these other changes to display my template correctly? Unfortunately, I can't work with that.

So I have no choice but to modify the source core code .. and not create another template (fancy) the problem will be during the next update :-)

Anyway, I would have one last question when I want to turn off the searchbox in the middle of the page, I already know, but when I want to display a logo above the text? I don't understand this tutorial https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/176-customizing-the-banner

You can be torch more specific what to edit in the variables.neon file to make it understand.

Thanks !

The variables.neon file seem to be a mixture of a) settings which are used at runtime and b) build instructions. If you cannot run the build scripts, you cannot benefit from all things in that file. And from my understanding, all those banner options described in the page you referred to would require rebuilding all assets.

Sorry, but I really don't know what to advice to someone who only wants to make small changes to the foundation theme. It's sad but I don't see a simple way to do that.

Try to start from another theme, like e.g. Keystone. Really sorry...