HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrading 3.3 to 2021.009 went fine via Softlicious. Should I be concerned?

I've read the upgrade instructions for 2021.009, plus the issues people are having. I've read about the lines I need to add to various files and the files to remove before upgrade etc. It all seemed daunting to me, so I've ignored it!

I run three installs of Vanilla, all done via Softalicious; a test version, demo version and the live version. I noticed upgrade options for all three installs in Softalicious last night so figured I'd try the test install. Clicked the upgrade button, all done and dusted, and the forum appears to run fine. Moved on to the demo version, that went fine too.

Worth noting I've done none of the requirements listed before upgrading, I just clicked the upgrade button.

So my question is, before I upgrade the live version, is it likely these two upgrades went fine and all is good, or am I likely to hit issues down the line, because I didn't do any of the things instructed to do?

Thanks.

Comments

• KasparKaspar Moderator

"Softaculous is an auto-installer that makes installing web apps easier. Softaculous provides hundreds of scripts to install"

Softaculous is scripted so it does the things for you, while you may need to run /utility/update and /utility/structure - the steps of the actual install or update is done by the script.

If you have hit no issues on your test and demo sites (make sure you have gone over stuff and tested various functions and plugins) then you should not run into issues.

There is ofc always a "never say never" - so it is a most likely not a guarantee.

• Thanks, I just went for it, after making a backup, all seems good.

I've run /utility/update/ and got the success page.

I tried /utility/structure/ and I've got a page of upgrades, mostly it seems based around user permissions. Looks like this...

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''
    where `Permissions` <> '';

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = '{\"0\":\"Garden.Email.View\",\"1\":\"Garden.Settings.Manage\",\"2\":\"Garden.Settings.View\",\"3\":\"Garden.SignIn.Allow\",\"4\":\"Garden.Users.Add\",\"5\":\"Garden.Users.Edit\",\"6\":\"Garden.Users.Delete\",\"7\":\"Garden.Users.Approve\",\"8\":\"Garden.Activity.Delete\",\"9\":\"Garden.Activity.View\",\"10\":\"Garden.Profiles.View\",\"11\":\"Garden.Profiles.Edit\",\"12\":\"Garden.Curation.Manage\",\"13\":\"Garden.Moderation.Manage\",\"14\":\"Garden.PersonalInfo.View\",\"15\":\"Garden.AdvancedNotifications.Allow\",\"16\":\"Garden.Community.Manage\",\"17\":\"Garden.Uploads.Add\",\"18\":\"Conversations.Conversations.Add\",\"19\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.View\",\"20\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Add\",\"21\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Edit\",\"22\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Announce\",\"23\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Sink\",\"24\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Close\",\"25\":\"Vanilla.Discussions.Delete\",\"26\":\"Vanilla.Comments.Add\",\"27\":\"Vanilla.Comments.Edit\",\"28\":\"Vanilla.Comments.Delete\",\"29\":\"Plugins.Attachments.Upload.Allow\",\"30\":\"Yaga.Reactions.View\",\"31\":\"Yaga.Badges.View\",\"32\":\"Yaga.Ranks.View\",\"33\":\"Plugins.Pockets.Manage\",\"34\":\"Plugins.Signatures.Edit\",\"Vanilla.Discussions.View\":[4,5,6,8],\"Vanilla.Discussions.Add\":[4,5,6,8],\"Vanilla.Comments.Add\":[4,5,6,8],\"Vanilla.Discussions.Edit\":[5],\"Vanilla.Comments.Edit\":[5]}'
    where `UserID` = '1';

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

update `GDN_User` `User`
    set `Permissions` = ''

now I'm a little concerned to run this, on the basis... Quit while you're ahead!

Advice welsome.

• Looked into this a bit more, and also ran /structure/ on my test site, and afterwards, I get the above message again.

I think therefore that the above message is telling me nothing needs updating, so no need to run it?

Can anyone confirm that?

• Many thanks.