HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Migration issues going from 2.0.14 (!) to 3.3

Hi all,

My plan is to revive an old community running on 2.0.14.

Currently I am struggling with migrating. I try to jump from old to 3.3 in one go. However the utility/update takes forever and gives a 504. Then the structure also fails and I get all kinds of messages in the logging. The third run of update does not time out, but shows a vague permission error.

I have a running 2.0.14 version running in a VM, with which I can play around and go back to the working situation easily and forever.

the 2.0.14 is prepared by disabling all old plugings,themes,etc. Also I deleted the files, folders as suggested in the migration guides. The theme is default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Martin

(linux, fedora 31. mysql8, php 7.3, apache 2.4.41)

Some more info from debug logging:

PHP Warning: Error running structure: The specified data type (int unsigned) is not accepted for the MySQL database. in /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php on line 706

[02-Apr-2020 21:34:19 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: The specified data type (int unsigned) is not accepted for the MySQL database. in /var/www/html/forum/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php:760

Stack trace:

#0 /var/www/html/forum/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php(571): Gdn_MySQLStructure->_defineColumn(Object(stdClass))

#1 /var/www/html/forum/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(507): Gdn_MySQLStructure->_modify(false, false)

#2 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php(792): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->set(false, false)

#3 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php(698): include('/var/www/html/f...')

#4 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php(660): UpdateModel->runStructureInternal(false)

#5 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(292): UpdateModel->runStructure()

#6 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(330): UtilityController->legacyUpdate()

#7 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(872): UtilityController->update()

#8 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(289): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController(Object(Gdn_Request), Array)

#9 /var/www/html/forum/index.php(29): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()

#10 {main}

thrown in /var/www/html/forum/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php on line 760

[02-Apr-2020 22:09:24 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Unknown column 'w.Participated' in 'field list' in /var/www/html/forum/library/database/class.database.php on line 421

--

Error shown by update in browser:

Permission Problem

You don't have permission to do that.

Trace

#0 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(277): permissionException()

#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(330): UtilityController->legacyUpdate()

#2 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(872): UtilityController->update()

#3 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(289): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController(Object(Gdn_Request), Array)

#4 /var/www/html/forum/index.php(29): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()

#5 {main}

Debug Trace

Notice

Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

#0 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/functions.general.php(1962): gdn_ErrorHandler(2, 'Invalid argumen...', '/var/www/html/f...', 1962, Array)

#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/settings/class.hooks.php(202): inArrayI('dashboard/home/...', 'a:0:{}')

#2 [internal function]: DashboardHooks->base_render_before(Object(HomeController), Array)

#3 /var/www/html/forum/library/Garden/EventManager.php(278): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#4 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(810): Garden\EventManager->fire('Base_render_Bef...', Object(HomeController), Array)

#5 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(773): Gdn_PluginManager->callEventHandler(Object(HomeController), 'Base', 'render', 'Before')

#6 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php(205): Gdn_PluginManager->callEventHandlers(Object(HomeController), 'HomeController', 'render', 'Before')

#7 /var/www/html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.homecontroller.php(247): Gdn_Pluggable->__call('render', Array)

#8 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(872): HomeController->unauthorized()

#9 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(289): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController(Object(Gdn_Request), Array)

#10 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.controller.php(1761): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Gdn_Request))

#11 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(876): Gdn_Controller->renderException(Object(Gdn_UserException))

#12 /var/www/html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(289): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController(Object(Gdn_Request), Array)

#13 /var/www/html/forum/index.php(29): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()

#14 {main}

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

In such a case I would always recommend to set up a brand new forum and then point the database of that new installation to the old database. Running utility/structure in the new forum should convert the database to what is needed.

• martzmartz New
    edited April 2020

Hi R_J, thanks for answering.

OK, I've just installed 3.3 and pointed the config at the old database. Unfortunately the same error occurs:

Fatal Error in Gdn_MySQLStructure._defineColumn();
    The specified data type (int unsigned) is not accepted for the MySQL database.
    The error occurred on or near: /var/www/html/package/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php

756:       }

757:     }

758: 

759:     if (!in_array($column->Type, $validColumnTypes)) {

760:       throw new Exception(sprintf(t('The specified data type (%1$s) is not accepted for the MySQL database.'), $column->Type));

761:     }

762: 

763:     $return = "`{$column->Name}` ";

764: 

Backtrace:

[/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php:571] Gdn_MySQLStructure->_defineColumn();

[/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.databasestructure.php:507] Gdn_MySQLStructure->_modify();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php:792] Gdn_DatabaseStructure->set();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php:698] PHP::include();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php:660] UpdateModel->runStructureInternal();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php:292] UpdateModel->runStructure();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php:330] UtilityController->legacyUpdate();

[/var/www/html/package/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:872] UtilityController->update();

[/var/www/html/package/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:289] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController();

[/var/www/html/package/index.php:29] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

Need Help?

If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.

If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.
    Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
      Application Version: 3.3
      PHP Version: 7.3.16
      Operating System: Linux
      Server Software: Apache/2.4.41 (Fedora)
      User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:74.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0
      Request Uri: /package/utility/update
      Controller: Gdn_MySQLStructure
      Method: _defineColumn

MySQL server version: mysqld 8.0.19 MySQL Community Server
    mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407  

:-(

Okay, then it will be more work. The most interesting part in the above (I have edited it to make it more readable) s this:

The specified data type (int unsigned) is not accepted for the MySQL database.

One or more of the columns in your database are of type "int unsigned" when they shouldn't be. I would suggest to dump the scheme of your database and do a fulltext search. Check why those columns are there and try to convert them to signed integers.

This is somewhat hacky, but I assume some plugins have created those columns and in the end you might not even need them at all.

• Hi RJ,

Thanks! In the time begin I've increased time out settings on Apache and was able to see what goes wrong with the first update try. Before I could not see it because of the 504 error that was returned by Apache. The unsigned int error is shown when I try for a second time.

It tells something else, maybe an unexpected legacy value is stopping the update process?

Fatal Error in PHP.gdn_ErrorHandler();

Unknown column 'p.Garden.Email.Manage' in 'field list'

The error occurred on or near: /var/www/html/package/library/database/class.database.php

417:         if (!$message) {

418:           $message = $ex->getMessage();

419:         }

420: 

421:         trigger_error($message, E_USER_ERROR);

422:       }

423: 

424:     }

425: 

Backtrace:

/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.database.phpPHP::gdn_ErrorHandler();

[/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.database.php:421] PHP::trigger_error();

[/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:1707] Gdn_Database->query();

[/var/www/html/package/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:664] Gdn_SQLDriver->query();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.permissionmodel.php:543] Gdn_SQLDriver->get();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:5057] PermissionModel->cachePermissions();

[/var/www/html/package/library/core/class.session.php:499] UserModel->getPermissions();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php:703] Gdn_Session->start();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php:660] UpdateModel->runStructureInternal();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php:292] UpdateModel->runStructure();

[/var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php:330] UtilityController->legacyUpdate();

[/var/www/html/package/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:872] UtilityController->update();

[/var/www/html/package/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:289] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController();

[/var/www/html/package/index.php:29] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

Variables in local scope:

[sql] 'select MAX(p.`PermissionID`) as `PermissionID`, MAX(p.`Garden.Email.Manage`) as `Garden.Email.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Settings.Manage`) as `Garden.Settings.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Routes.Manage`) as `Garden.Routes.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Messages.Manage`) as `Garden.Messages.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Applications.Manage`) as `Garden.Applications.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Plugins.Manage`) as `Garden.Plugins.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Themes.Manage`) as `Garden.Themes.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.SignIn.Allow`) as `Garden.SignIn.Allow`, MAX(p.`Garden.Registration.Manage`) as `Garden.Registration.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Applicants.Manage`) as `Garden.Applicants.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Roles.Manage`) as `Garden.Roles.Manage`, MAX(p.`Garden.Users.Add`) as `Garden.Users.Add`, MAX(p.`Garden.Users.Edit`) as `Garden.Users.Edit`, MAX(p.`Garden.Users.Delete`) as `Garden.Users.Delete`, MAX(p.`Garden.Users.Approve`) as `Garden.Users.Approve`, MAX(p.`Garden.Activity.Delete`) as `Garden.Activity.Delete`, MAX(p.`Garden.Activity.View`) as `Garden.Activity.View`, MAX(p.`Garden.Profiles.View`) as `Garden.Profiles.View`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Settings.Manage`) as `Vanilla.Settings.Manage`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Categories.Manage`) as `Vanilla.Categories.Manage`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Spam.Manage`) as `Vanilla.Spam.Manage`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.View`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.View`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Add`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Add`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Edit`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Edit`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Announce`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Announce`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Sink`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Sink`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Close`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Close`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Discussions.Delete`) as `Vanilla.Discussions.Delete`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Comments.Add`) as `Vanilla.Comments.Add`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Comments.Edit`) as `Vanilla.Comments.Edit`, MAX(p.`Vanilla.Comments.Delete`) as `Vanilla.Comments.Delete`, MAX(p.`Plugins.Debugger.View`) as `Plugins.Debugger.View`, MAX(p.`Plugins.Debugger.Manage`) as `Plugins.Debugger.Manage`, MAX(p.`Plugins.Pockets.Manage`) as `Plugins.Pockets.Manage`, p.JunctionTable as `JunctionTable`, p.JunctionColumn as `JunctionColumn`, p.JunctionID as `JunctionID`

from `GDN_Permission` `p`

where `p`.`RoleID` = :pRoleID

group by `p`.`JunctionTable`, `p`.`JunctionColumn`, `p`.`JunctionID`'

[inputParameters] array (

':pRoleID' => 2,

)

[options] array (

'Type' => 'select',

'Slave' => NULL,

'ReturnType' => 'DataSet',

)

[returnType] 'DataSet'

[tries] 2

[try] 0

[pDO] array (

)

[pDOStatement] false

[state] '42S22'

[code] 1054

[message] 'Unknown column \'p.Garden.Email.Manage\' in \'field list\''

[ex] array (

)

Need Help?

If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.

If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.

Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla

Application Version: 3.3

PHP Version: 7.3.16

Operating System: Linux

Server Software: Apache/2.4.41 (Fedora)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:74.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0

Request Uri: /package/utility/update

Controller: PHP

Method: gdn_ErrorHandler

• Additional logging:

03-Apr-2020 12:45:13 UTC] PHP Warning: Error running structure: Unknown column 'p.Garden.Email.Manage' in 'field list' in /var/www/html/package/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php on line 706

[03-Apr-2020 12:45:13 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Unknown column 'p.Garden.Email.Manage' in 'field list' in /var/www/html/package/library/database/class.database.php on line 421

The Garden.Email.Manage is a permission. Just a shot in the dark: the permission is missing but required for running /utility/structure. Create it manually by copying a column in the GDN_Permission table and name it "Garden.Email.Manage". It would be best to copy a column which has restrictive permissions so not to allow too much

• Update succeeded!

You pointed me in the right direction. Before running update I dropped all the 'legacy' columns in the Permission table. I determined what the legacy columns were by comparing them to a 'Vanilla' 3.3 install.

The 3.3 forum has all the content and seems to work fine!

I could not run structure as the admin password is not accepted somehow. Also images are be broken, but I think someone else solved that and posted about it. Will look into that and I will try to somehow reset the admin user password.

Thanks!

p.s. this is the script that I used

ALTER TABLE `vanilladb`.`GDN_Permission` 

DROP COLUMN `Plugins.Pockets.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Plugins.Debugger.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Plugins.Debugger.View`,

DROP COLUMN `Vanilla.Spam.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Vanilla.Categories.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Vanilla.Settings.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Roles.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Applicants.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Registration.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Themes.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Plugins.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Applications.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Messages.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Routes.Manage`,

DROP COLUMN `Garden.Email.Manage`;

• I am importing data from SMF 2.0.18 version and when I attempt to import in Vanilla, I get following error:

There was an error while trying to create the Media table (The specified data type (smallint unsigned) is not accepted for the MySQL database.).

How can I fix it? Importing data is stopped at "Define Tables" steps.

Thanks,

Kailash