Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrading advice?

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi, I have been using Vanilla version 0.9.2.6 now for a month or so and it is excellent. But I would like to move up to the latest version - pre-release, I know. Forgive my stupidity, but do I have to do a clean install.......or do I download the newest version and just replace some files in my old version? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The new version has an upgrade option.
    Make a very secure backup just i case mind you - of the pages AND the database.
  • oops, meant to add, is there a download link for latest files that I need?
  • thanks rockwaldo, I am just after backing up my database and all my files so to get from 0.9.2.6 to the latest version, I need to download?
  • http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/2498/vanilla-prerelease-3/

get it from the link in the first post there.

good luck!
  • you are a star, rockwaldo! Many thanks! And one final question - do I install it in the same directory as my 0.9.2.6 version, with the same database name, or do I make new ones? (all is backed up anyway, should something go wrong)
  • well i dont think you need to retain any files from 0.9.2.6 (aside from settings.php maybe, but the installer tells you what to do with that by renaming it to old_settings.php)

This is what i did -

delete all forum files (after backed up of course)
    copy over new files
    run the installer
    choose upgrade
    put the Database details in
    and thats it!

One thing that did change for me which wasnt expected was that Whispers were turned OFF by default. When enabled mind you, check some admin options as a few of my accounts had "view all whispers" set as yes, which wasn't a great idea IMO.

good luck again!
  • when you say delete all the forum files, you mean? (sorry for my ignorance) I am assuming under settings you clean out the system.....or maybe you mean to literally delete the old 0.9.2.6 directory from the server and copy in th enew 1.0 in it's place? forgive my stupidity.
  • well, i deleted the whole 0.9.2.6 directory (i didnt bother including the old settings file either, but thats up to you) and copied the v1 in its place

worked for me
  • thanks so much for your help, it is very much appreciated. My present vanilla board is at http://tinyurl.com/ojbfs Gonna change it now in the next 30 mins. Thanks again!
  • yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............excellentae! Now gonna try and get my old logo working at the top again and get the background to dark grey via the css sheet. Thanks for all your great help! It went so smoothly.
  • edited July 2006
    great work, Mark!
  • ToivoToivo New
    edited August 2006
    reading upgrading instructions # Delete the extensions and conf folders on your downloaded, unzipped files. You do not want to copy the conf or extensions folders because you want your existing configurations and extensions to remain intact. # Back up any custom languages, themes, and styles you have installed. # Upload all remaining Vanilla 1.0.1 files on top of the Vanilla 1 files on your server. # Re-upload your custom languages, themes and styles. --- Delete the extensions and conf folders on your downloaded, unzipped files. But ... Back up any custom languages, themes, and styles you have installed.Re-upload your custom languages, themes and styles. I guess I could delete ext, conf, lang and theme folder on dowloaded files folder so these are not overwritten when I upload. Why approach these in a different manner? Any reason behind it? Linux\win?
  • edited August 2006
    Conf and extension folders are unique to your installation and contain stuff which will not have changed due to a bugfix/whatever in the app. [Standard] theme and language files will probably include changes such as css/whatever fixes, delegates, and new definitions, therefore these do need to replace the standard things on the server. You need to backup then re-upload any custom folders you have because it seems that on some file systems overwriting a folder with a folder containing different [less] stuff will remove the stuff that the over-written folder doesnt contain.
This discussion has been closed.