Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

conf/settings.php is FUBAR

edited September 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
And now I can't modify it!

Comments

• Options
    It seems to have been caused by carriage returns in the announcement bar, which were changed to '<br>etc.!!''; or something like that when I changed some settings. I temporarily fixed it by downloading & deleting the files & reupping them, but now I'm afraid I have to make them globally writable (luckily I have a local copy now), but I don't have time to fix it in a more permenant way.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If you can clearly explain what happened that caused the problems (the steps you took) so it can be duplicated, it will be much easier to fix the problem on our end.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I have the announcement addon installed.

The announcement was changed to something like:

24 Hour Name Change Special!!! (Important! Your login will be changed too!) Booyah!!!!

Someone changed their name to spoof someone else, so I went to turn off the name change option, and when I clicked SUBMIT or whatever, I got an error something like:

Error - unexpected ! in line 63

When I went to edit the file, it looked something like this - I only glanced at it so I could have this wrong:

$Configuration['ANNOUNCE_MESSAGE'] = '24 Hour Name Change Special!!! (Important! Your login will be changed too!)'; '<BR />Booyah!!!!'; '<BR />Booyah!!!!';

With two lines of Booyah!!! and with the single quote & semi colon at the end... I looked to fast to be sure what was at the beginning. I don't know if someone added the extra Booyah!!!! overnight & I didn't notice when I logged in, or if it was added when I changed the settings.
  • Options
    PS - I think you should be able to give people access to change the announcement bar without access to the forum settings, but that's another issue & probably should go in another support forum.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, you'll have to talk to the author of the announcement extension about changing how it works. That one has nothing to do with me.

I see what's going on now, though. I think I'll have to tinker with it to make the settings saver a little smarter.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Remembered I had the local copy on my HD, which I uploaded and THEN edited through my FTP program.

$Configuration['ANNOUNCE_MESSAGE'] = '24 hour name change special! (Important!!! When you change your name, your login changes too!!!!)<br /> BOOYA!!!!'; BOOYA!!!!';
This discussion has been closed.