Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bug? Remember Me must be selected to login...

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi all, just signed up with the forum - I love the appearance and function of Vanilla - definitely one of the better php-based forums I've used yet....anyways, on with the problem: When I go to administer my Vanilla forum, it would ask for username and password, I typed it in, then it sent me to main forum page...however, it showed that I was not signed in. I did that a few times, but still no success...so instead I tried logging in and checking the Remember Me checkbox...sure enough, that showed me as being signed in and I was good to go from there. So i'm wondering, is this some sort of bug where you HAVE to have the remember me checkbox marked to sign in (at least for admin accounts)? Thanks - Collin

Comments

• If you go to view your profile page, and then refresh it, does it increase the number of visits?
  • Try deleting your cookies and check again :)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    My gut instinct would be that php sessions aren't working on your server.
  • edited August 2006
    I had the same problem with my Vanilla. I solved the problem by just refreshing the index page after logging in. I'm not sure if it was my browser or something with cookies. This problem doesn't happen all the time, and it only happens when using the sign in page. I don't think it's a big deal though, it happened with phpBB in the past too.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm having the exact same problem. I even just tried a fresh install and new database, but same thing. My host is Powweb by the way. Edit: I figured it out. The path was wrong in my php.ini file.
  • I have the same problem. Did the exact things akumulator did. Unfortunately, I went through the php.ini file and couldn't find anything that I could change (e.g. a path to fix the problem.

Would anyone have a clue for me?
  • I have the same issue - and neither ticking the "remember me" box nor refreshing works. Unlike akumulator I have no php.ini file in the Vanilla directory. Should I?

Can someone tell me as a beginner to BB software where the cookies are meant to go? My settings.php is putting them on the remote server, not on my host machine.

Also - yes, question 3! - when I can log in properly, will it be obvious how to administer the Board?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2010
    @adolfo and @Harbroe
    There is a setting in your conf/config.php file called $Configuration['Garden']['Cookie']['Domain']. This settings needs to be set to your forum's hostname in order for cookies to work properly.

For example, this forum's address is http://www.vanillaforums.org so its Cookie Domain setting should be 'www.vanillaforums.org'. Can you check what your respective values are on your config files?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Tim

Thank you so much. Your comment revealed that conf/ didn't actually contain a config.php file. The reason was that I needed to chmod the conf/ dir to 777 after I'd ftp'd the files up. Vanilla doesn't tell you to do that...

A delete and reinstall, and a recreating of the database on the server, and it's up and running - at least I hope so. I've got further than last time, anyway!

Many thanks again,

Richard