Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

extended user information

edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm new to Vanilla so please bear with me for a sec. I just migrated a whole forum from proboards to a vanilla install and just can't seem to duplicate some functionality. - It's a really close knit community where we like to give a shout when it's someone's B'day so I need to find a way to include B'day dates as part of the user info automatically. - gender: We used to have a "ladies only" lounge where only ladies were allowed and that category was password protected. I figured I can use the multiple roles extension to replicate that (unless there's an easier way to just password protect the category). So I need to reliable way to get people gender and display it. How hard would it be to write an extension that allows you to ask for specific information from users ( 2 or 3 extra labels) and display them with user info on the side bar.

Comments

• You are able to set up a "Ladies Only" category with an associated "Role & Permission" out of the box.

This way, unauthorized people will not even see the category.
  • You should also checkout the predefined attributes extension.
  • - yes.. the predefined attributes extension seems to be what i need. I'll install it and try to find a way where it shows up on the sidebar with something like "today's Birthday:...." . That shouldn't be too hard I think.. - I was thinking about a straight up "ladies only" role but it wouldn't work for the structure of the forum... multiple roles will work a bit better for this. thanks guys
  • Just wondering if you ever managed to get the Today's Birthday functionality working...
  • no.. I haven't had time to deal with it.

I've decided to move from vanilla to punBB or SMF once i figure out how to migrate. I'll keep vanilla as a my favourite forum software for tech stuff and new communities but it's had to get people to change their habits.
  • Yeah, I kind of wish I knew about Vanilla before I got my users accustomed to SMF. Although, then I wouldn't appreciate Vanilla as much ;)
This discussion has been closed.