Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Extension] DiscussionExcerpt 1.1.0

edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've been playing around with a new feature for this add-on. I found a dynamic js called BoxOver and decided to implement in this extension such that the entire post is viewable in an overlay when you mouseover the excerpt. It seems to work fine for me and I will be uploading the new version shortly.

However, I wanted to ask how best to include this new js file. Right now, I have it as its own extension like the jQuery extension so that other extensions can use its functions. I think this is the best way to go, but thought I would ask first. There are many things you can do with its functionality. Check out the site. If I do upload it as its own extension, I'll include the examples on what you can do with it.

Comments

• I think you're right Jim, keep it separate and give other extensions hooks to use it :) That way it can be used for lots of stuff, not just the one thing.
  • Sounds good. You can check it out on my forum.
  • I changed the look of the displayed post on my forum. This one has a fixed width and doesn't resize like the previous one. If someone could check and give me an opinion before I upload it, I would appreciate it.
  • Looks pretty interesting. Would there be a way to get a "lighter" version, with the usual discussion display, and a short preview in a small bubble when hovering a discussion's title? Something like the Preview Bubble extension, but with text instead?
  • Yes, there are parameters to adjust the size and performance of the display (whether it persists or fades). If you check out the swazz site, you will see what you can do. I am still experimenting. You can even put an image in the boxover. The author really did a great job.
  • I totally want that extension. See http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/4227/ (which actually lead to the preview-bubble extension) Today I saw EXACTLY what I wanted on http://www.planetblur.org/beta/ (meta) referenced in this discussion http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/1447/1/other-interesting-forum-software/
  • edited February 2007
    I just added an interim version 1.0.1 which reformats the post display a little better.

I also noticed that if you double-click on a word within the "mouse over" statement in the discussion, it will make the discussion display stable so that you can click on any links you might have in the post.
  • I just realized that I haven't uploaded the corresponding javascript that the extension needs. I will do this later today. Sorry if anyone is having problems with it.
  • Very nice Jim.

Usability-wise it would make sense to me is that a click while hovering over
    the preview link would take me to the full post/thread...
  • @TomTester: I do have a new version to do this for the Boxover option.
This discussion has been closed.