Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't connect to MySQL server... (10061)

edited March 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm in the middle of doing my first-ever install of Vanilla. I'm to step 2 but when trying to proceed, I get a 10061 error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'sqlxx.xxxxxxx.com' (10061). I created the database on the server and am sure my login and pw are correct. Any ideas?

Comments

• Are you sure your mysql server is runnning on the standard port?
  • Hm...not sure what you mean. I am really green on SQL stuff!
  • Yup...called CrystalTech, the host and this is running on the standard port.
  • Well a quick google would suggest that error 10061 was caused because it cant connect.

Try this (on windows atleast)
    Start->Run->type in 'cmd', press enter->type in 'telnet sqlxx.xxx.xxx 3306', press enter. See what it outputs...
  • Shoot, I'm running a Mac. I checked with the host and they are able to log into the server using my username and pw.
  • Is the SQL server running on the same box your vanilla install is running on? On a mac (i'm guessing here) you should just be able to type 'telnet sqlxx.xxx.xxx 3306' in console..
  • Yes, uploaded all of the Vanilla files to the external server and am running the install from .../vanilla/index.php. Using Mac OS X's terminal, I put in "telnet sqlxx.xxx.xxx 3306" and "Connection refused. Unable to connect to remote host was returned. It did convert the named domain to the correct IP so it is hitting the host's server.
  • Now you see what I'm thinking? Do you have any other apps which connect to your SQL server?
  • Yeah, we have a CMS that is running and appears to be working correctly.
  • Sometimes, for security reason, SQL hosts are not open to the internet. They have restricted access from local net of your hosting company. Then you must connect to it using a local area name/ip (10.0.0.x, 192.168.x.x). When you connect using phpmyadmin, is it plain http or https ?
    Also check the access rights for the user you use : is it allowed access from anywhere ?
This discussion has been closed.