Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to post arabic discussions?

edited August 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
When I post discussions In arabic on my forum I get question marks like ?? ????? ??! instead of arabic letters... I know I must edit sumthin' but no Idea wut...And how do I make the whole vanilla from RTL...?! tried changin' the floats In vanilla.CSS to right but didn't work !

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• You probably need to adjust the character encoding: http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:administrators:encodings
  • I added this code line to conf/settings.php
    $Configuration['DATABASE_CHARACTER_ENCODING'] = 'utf8';
    but nathin' changed and I still can't see arabic letters!
  • Have you read the whole document? It needs to match with the database encoding among other things.
  • edited August 2007
    garret, thanx.
  • wut about the RTL issue? how can I accomplish that? I want everythin' 2 be from right to left ...
  • I've never had the need to do this, so I don't know the pro's and con's or which methods work best, but I do know there are several ways

Edit your languages/definitions-arabic.php file, and change $Context->Dictionary['XMLLang'] = 'en-ca'; to $Context->Dictionary['XMLLang'] = 'ar" dir="rtl';

If that doesn't work, try adding direction: rtl; to the second or third line of themes/Vanilla/styles/vanilla.css

And last, you could try using the invisible character that reverses text direction.

You might have to use only one or a combination of the above methods--let us know what works best.
  • The first method works but the style goes bad... The second method doesn't work... And I have no Idea what to do with the third method ! :D Is there any way I can make only the discussions and their title from RTL? Thanx alot.
  • First method is probably the best one then... Might have to tweak some things in the style... Does this site look normal? http://www.appleapps.net/Vanilla/ If not, what should be different?
  • It doesn't look normal to me!
    They can't even spell Macintosh! (in the Banner) pic

Posted: Friday, 3 August 2007 at 1:14PM

• It looks pretty normal actually ... and exactly what I wanted. I'll try tweakin' the style by myself, thanx 'gain.
This discussion has been closed.