Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Lost connection to MySQL server during query

edited August 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
During Step 2 of installation, I get the following message: Lost connection to MySQL server during query I've installed Vanilla on another server without any problems. I can't understand what's going on with this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• is your mysql server on a different host than your vanilla? if so, do you have permission to connect from the host where vanilla is located?
  • As far as I know, they are on the same server. I'm using the control panel at WebSite Source. The database I've created shows up in phpMyAdmin for the user I assigned to it. The user has the full list of privileges. Admittedly, I'm not used to control panels, so I may have done something wrong.
  • ithcyithcy New
    edited August 2007
    what did you enter during setup for database host and is it the same as your vanilla host?
    you can check by looking in [your vanilla root]/conf/database.php

you may have to specify the hostname explicitly instead of using 'localhost'.
  • Hmm. I opened that file and it's pretty much empty: // Database Configuration Settings For my database host, I tried localhost, example.com, www.example.com, web20.websiteresource.net/example.com, websiteresource.net/example.com With the longer hostname I get: We couldn't connect to the server you provided (websiteresource.net/example.com). The database responded with the following message: Unknown MySQL server host 'websiteresource.net/example.com' (1) With localhost I get: We couldn't connect to the server you provided (localhost). The database responded with the following message: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
  • First off - "example.org/path" is not (NEVER EVER) a correct hostname.

Second, just log into your control panel and look around if you have MySQL at all, or ask your host.
  • edited August 2007
    "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"

If localhost is the correct choice, then MySQL is set up wrong. I'd contact the hosting service.
This discussion has been closed.