Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problem when the forum tries to send emails.

edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey all.

I have a problem with my Vanilla forum.
Every time the forum has to send an email (mass mail, applicant aproval, invitation, etc...), it leads to a "fatal, non-recoverable error".

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• check this discussion: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/6842/forgot-password-email-problems/ might be the same problem but first thing you should do is to check if you have sendmail command installed on your system (if you don't use windows)
  • But it's nothing related with the time zone. I get this :

Notice: Undefined variable: php_errormsg in /home/www/toxic.atwebpages.com/Vanilla/library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php on line 158
    A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    An error occurred while sending the email.
    Affected Elements
    Email.Send();

For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs
  • well, the discussion concerns more than just timezone.

check error.log of apache and then also mail.log or such of mail transfer agent, there might be some clue

and again, many problems with mail sending is simply because there is no mail transfer agent installed, and therefore there is no sendmail command in the system
  • And do you know how I can install "transfer agent" or "sendmail" ?
  • depends on operating system and distro you use.

On my Ubuntu Linux it is just: sudo apt-get install sendmail
  • And where do I write that ? Sorry i'm kind of a beginner in coding.
  • klipklip New
    edited December 2007
    I understand, but first I need to know what operating system (and distro) you use. The command above would work only on debian based linux distros.
    You write it right into your command line.
  • Lol, i dont even know what a distro is. :s To say everything, i'm on Windows XP Professional, my host is RUNHOSTING, and i use FileZilla.
  • if you are using hosting services then they should be responsible for php sending mails.
    You can ask them.

I just found at http://runhosting.com/faq.html at section 'Email Accounts & Webmail' question
    10. I am unable to use PHP mail() function from my paid hosting account, why?

There is an example, how you can test sending mails by php.
    Also they say 'from' header should be an existing email account inside your Email Manager of your hosting Control Panel
    It means that Vanilla support email (I guess this is the one used in 'From' header) should be existing email account at Runhosting.

They are just restrictive in order nobody cannot send email through their server as e.g. elvis.presley@heaven.god or any other one's email ;)
This discussion has been closed.