Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

MySQL Database Move - For Hire

edited February 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I need to have databases moved onto my new server account. I have everything else already moved, but could not quite grasp the whole phpmyadmin/SQL database thing. If one of you techies are "for hire," please email me at Texafina @gmail.com. Thanks so much.

Comments

• What seems to be the problem?

In short, phpMyAdmin should be able to create a "dump" of your database. The dump will contain a series of SQL statements that your new server can read to create a new copy of the database.

This works best when your database is relatively small. How many discussions and comments would you guess are on your current forum?
  • Hi Squirrel, thanks for your response. I tried to upload copies of my databases (as this is all I had due to being under someone else's server) through phpmyadmin that I have on my new server account. It just didn't work. I guess "dumping" is something you can do if you have access to the actual database instead of just copies? I did something wrong, as I don't really have any frame of reference for MySQL, and am still new to much of this. The 3 databases that comprise my website are relatively small. Below are the stats to my forum. My home page is Word Press, my Forum is of course Vanilla, and I have a separate database for my Chat, which is teeninsy. I'm sure it is simple for those familiar with databases or who have gone through the process. Right now, I just need to get it done. Thanks for your help. Categories: 24 Discussions: 965 Comments: 7343 Users: 553 Newest User: boricua Unique Guests: 21995 Top Posting Users: 1. Rawlie With 3484 posts Top Discussion Starter: 1. Rawlie With 560 discussions
  • What do you mean by 'copies' of your database? Just the actual files?
  • What are the filenames of your copies? Are they text files or binary?

Are the old databases still intact on your old server?
  • My forum is presently on the server account of the person whom I bought the forum from. The database files are not included on my portion I have access to, so when I transferred everything else to my new server account, I was sent copies of the database files. I'm not sure which they are test or binary, as I do not know the difference, but I will check. The databases are still intact on the old server, as the forum is still up and running. My forum is pasofinohorsedirectory.com/Forum/. Having access to the database files has not been an option, so new current copies will have to be uploaded, and the forum shut down while this is being done; otherwise, I will lose anything posted during the interim. Hence, my needing someone who knows what they are doing and who can do it timely for me. I thought someone here might be interested in the job.
  • If you open a file in a text editor, like Notepad, and you see symbols that don't exist on a keyboard, then it's a binary file. MySQL uses binary files to store data but those files don't travel well from one server to another. What you want is an SQL dump, which is text.

If your files have names ending with ".frm" and ".MYD" and ".MYI", those are MySQL binary files (that's bad). If they end in ".sql", they are probably dump files (that's good). If they end with ".zip" or ".gz", open one in Winzip and see what's inside.

If you open a dump file in Notepad, you will see SQL statements like this:
    CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `LUM_Category` ( `CategoryID` int(2) NOT NULL auto_increment, `Name` varchar(100) collate utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL default '', `Description` text collate utf8_unicode_ci, `Priority` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (`CategoryID`) ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci AUTO_INCREMENT=2 ;
    If not, you will probably need to get an SQL dump from the person who owns your old server before anyone here can help you.
  • Thank you so much Squirrel for all this info. It gives me more of a frame of reference for it. I have contacted a company to go in and have a look-see at the files and to give me a quote on the job. I'll be glad once I have everything under my own server. Then I will be able to learn the guts of the operation better.
  • If they quote you anything with 3 figures on it you're probably being ripped off.
  • Yeah, that's what I thought, but we'll see. One company wanted $200 just to look at the darn thing. In other words, $200 is the minimum they charge.
  • There are several folks here, including myself, able to do this for half this price, if your files are usable.
  • Thanks Max. I'm still waiting on a quote from a company I contacted two days ago. Not sure what's going on with that. They requested of the person that has the databases to do a dump, but he is not sure what to do on MyPHPAdmin after he gets to the export page for the database. Can someone tell me what steps he needs to take? Thanks. Max if you'd like to handle this for me, email me please at Texafina @gmail.com.
  • Don't know if these steps will work verbatim, it might take some fiddling to get it exactly right. Anyway, here goes:
    1. Under the heading Export click "Select All". This will get all tables from the database.
    2. Under that, click the radio button marked "SQL". This will get the SQL dump format I was talking about.
    3. Find the heading Structure and make sure the box next to it is checked. This will get the database structure, not just the data.
    4. Under that heading, I have only the following options checked:
      • Add IF NOT EXISTS
      • Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
      • Enclose table and field names with backquotes
      All other options in the Structure box are unchecked.
    5. Find the heading Data and make sure the box next to it is checked. This will get the data.
    6. Under that heading, I have the following options checked:
      • Enclose table and field names with backquotes
      • Extended inserts
      • Use hexadecimal for BLOB
    7. Also under that heading, make sure "Export type" is "INSERT".
    8. Also under that heading, I have "Maximal length of created query" set at "50000". I don't know if that's statements or bytes or what. Just to be safe, crank it way up. Don't worry, your database probably isn't large enough to cause problems.
    9. Find the heading Save as file and make sure the box next to it is checked. This will make your life easier when uploading to your new server.
    10. Under that heading, choose a type of "Compression". It doesn't matter which one, phpMyAdmin will figure it out when you import on your new server.
    Hope that helps.
  • Thanks Squirrel, I forwarded this on to the guy who has the account with the running server of my forum.
  • If you still need i will do it for free

For a link back
  • Hi Simonb, thanks so much for your offer; it's quite generous. I have found someone that has been working on it for me. I appreciate your offer though.
This discussion has been closed.