Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

biggest vanilla install?

ithcyithcy New
edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
i've just migrated a messageboard to vanilla with about 480,000 comments in about 27,500 discussions. so far it's running like a top. i'm wondering if anyone else has done something of this scale yet (maybe with the phpBB importer?) and, if so, if you've noticed any issues with vanilla scaling?

Comments

• omfg link?
  • well... heh... it's a private forum. they would kill me.

i know, what a tease, right?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It is a little slower than it was before the import. I've definitely noticed a slight slowdown. But I guess that is to be expected. I suggested on your board that you turn off whispers and see if that makes a difference. I bet it will.
  • google is going to love you.
  • google is not allowed in either :)
  • yeah nav, we'll see what killing whispers does. people love the whisper, though.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    Another thing, vanilla comes with no special indexes on the tables (other than PK). I bet I could speed it up by adding a few.
  • yeah.

i just can't wait until people start demanding the infamous "mark all as read" button. let's see, 200 users * 27500 threads... no.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    hahaha - I know, right? I've been trying to think of a way to accomplish that "record the threads you read" feature without it getting ridiculous like that, but I just can't seem to come up with anything better (read: more efficient) than what I've already got.
  • yeah, i've been thinking about it too... if i come up with any bright ideas i'll let you know
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    When talking about speeding up the discussion listing, here are a few indexes that might help things a bit. If I were you, I'd try them one at a time and see what difference it makes. That way we can nail down which ones really make a difference, and I can include them in the next release by default.

If they do make a difference, we'll move on to the comment page and see what we can do there:

CREATE INDEX IX_Discussion_AuthUserID ON LUM_Discussion (AuthUserID); CREATE INDEX IX_Discussion_LastUserID ON LUM_Discussion (LastUserID); CREATE INDEX IX_Discussion_WhisperUserID ON LUM_Discussion (WhisperUserID); CREATE INDEX IX_Discussion_CategoryID ON LUM_Discussion (CategoryID);
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and if you find that any of these slow things down (or they do nothing and you want to get rid of them), you can remove them like this:

DROP INDEX index_name ON LUM_Discussion;

where index_name is one of the IX_Discussion_* names I gave.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and it might help you to turn on the timer extension while testing this.
  • "thanks dad"

i'll give it a shot now. do you want to come hang out and see how it goes?
  • nice work, other james.
  • thank you sir
    i couldn't have done it without you. *woinx
  • Let us know which ones help, I'd like to add them on my board, too.
  • i'm doing some informal benchmarking now. i'll post the results here.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Sorry - was working on something else. How did it go?
  • not done yet... trying to get a good survey of typical activities and their timing before indexing

although at this stage it appears that turning on/off whispering has a negligible effect on most things. turning it off cuts down the render time for the "homepage", but nearly everything else (searches, etc) seems unaffected. i'll gather some more data, though.
This discussion has been closed.