Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Advice on using Vanilla for a tech support forum

edited February 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hello, I'm looking for forum software to use for a help and support forum. I have some specific features and behaviors I want for this. It looks like Vanilla has add-ons for some of those features, and I can write my own add-ons for others. However, one of the main things I want to do is make it easy for users to start posting without having to go through email registration or anything. If spam becomes a problem, I have another way to authenticate them (authentication key used on other parts of the website). So if a user is not authenticated, and they click "Start a new discussion", I want as part of the post form places to fill in nickname, password, and other custom information, and to essentially be immediately registered and post at the same time. Is it possible to modify the registration procedure like this in Vanilla? Are there any existing add-ons that do stuff like this? (Then, it would also be good to have a way to remove all user accounts that have been inactive for the past N months too...) Thanks, Reed

Comments

• Options
    there is the Add Comments extension that works when the user is registered but not signed in yet

I don't know if there's something more related to your will than that
  • Options
    Yes, I'm looking for something like that, but also used when starting a new discussion. So it may be possible then? If it doesn't exist I am willing to implement it, as long as it's not too hard. It seems to be a part of the design of Vanilla to have email registration-- this is why I'm asking about it.
This discussion has been closed.