Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FORBIDDEN - 403 Error

edited June 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm a rank amateur, but I can follow instructions! So, I've done this 4 times now with the same results: 1)Created directory and database on server. 2)Downloaded fresh copy of Vanilla - unzipped to 'forum1' folder on hard-drive 3))Uploaded using FileZilla to 'forum' directory on Server 4)Changed and verified permissions as per instructions 5)Booted up Firefox + IE 7 6)Get Message: "403 Error - You are Forbidden From Viewing this File" So, what's a guy to do? I'm not a programmer or a coder so I'm really stuck here. No knowledge of servers etc. Just an ordinary 'Joe' trying to get Vanilla up and running. Any 'non-tech' directions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Poppy

Comments

• Just for the record: - I just went back in and gave, just about everybody, 'permission' to do, just about, 'everything'!! No Change. Cannot get past the 403 Error. P.
  • ZIP Files: I know nothing about 'Zip' files but I did notice this: When I download the zip file from the Vanilla site and check its Properties', it shows it has 233 files and is 394,561 Bytes in size. When I expand it to a folder, its reduced to 215 files. Two questions: Is 215 the correct # of files for the download? Where the heck do the other 13 files go? Just curious. Poppy
  • Hi Poppy, the computer you're using, is a PC or a Mac?
  • 403 error is not necessarily a problem with file permissions it may be a problem with your web server. Sometimes if you give a file too *many* permissions it returns a 403 error as your web server doesnt like it cause it feels insecure. I'd suggest you contact your host and ask them if they have any such restrictions in place and confirm what they recommend for file permissions.
  • Found the problem: Actually a friend did. When I uploaded the Vanilla file I didn't unpack it properly. I also uploaded the Vanilla 1.1.4 folder. Everything went inside that folder which created a barrier. Thus I got a 403. Dumb but True. Thanks guys for the suggestions and thanks Jim for finding my error. Popppy
This discussion has been closed.