Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

I can't login after installation on remote web server

TeeTee
edited November 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hello everyone, anyone! I need help immediately. I have a small company that I want to install Vanilla forum on my website to use for a student training class that began on this Saturday. The problem: I can't login to the Forum after installing the Vanilla software. I copied the Vanilla files to my remote web server and went thru the Vanilla installer process with no problems and no error messages. But after the install, I can not login; it still shows in the right top corner "Not signed in (Sign In)" as if I had not attempted to login. I did found a few discussions on this community board with this similiar problem but all of these were trying to install the Vanilla forum software to their localhost, not a remote server. Nonetheless, I've tried deleting the config files that were install by the installer, and the database table files, and reinstall the Vanilla software four times now, but still couldn't login. I also delete the entire MySQL database from my web server and created a new database, as well as deleted all the Vanilla files on the server and uploaded the files again, then went thru the installation process again. I still can't login. Cookies are enabled and the cookie path in correct. I even tried to delete the cookies from my computer to show if that would make a difference, still can't login after installation. I'm at my wit's end here. If anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to solve this problem, please let me know ASAP. Thanks in advance, Tee

Comments

• Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm adding another piece to this problem. I open a ticket with my website provider to check to see if this problem is on the server side. At first they told me to change the password; so I change the password on Vanilla forum and on the database side. After that, I finally got the following error message, which let me know that the Vanilla forum is communicating with my database on my remote web server. Here's the error message: Error Message: The connection to the database failed. Affected Elements: MySQLOpenConnection(): The error occured on or near: Access denied for user; 'tvanilla10'@'boscgi1042.eigbox.net' (using password: YES). 'tvanilla' is my username for my MySQL database. So, then after I wasn't above to access the Forum page at all, only got the above error message, the Help Desk transferred the ticket to the 3rd level support, who received the password problem. So, now I'm back at my original spot from last night, at the Vanilla forum page where you sign-in. I still can not login at all; but I did try to login with the wrong password and got the following error message: ' Some problems were encountered: The requested username and password combination could not be found. It's like it recognizes that I'm attempting to login, but it's having a problem displaying the next screen, the screen that shows the Admin settings and allow you to add comments or add a new discussion. Do I have to add something or change something in one of the Vanilla files to make this work. HELP!!! Can someone help me please? I like this Vanilla forum a lot, and would like to use it, if I can resolve this problem. Thanks, Tee
  • Options
    I would first check that your cookie are well set and your php session is working. Install the following file in your vanilla folder and visit it: http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/83967/vanilla/testsession.php
  • Options
    ok, no. The file you sent will not run. It give an error message: 'Page not found;The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.' Does that mean that my php session is not working properly? My version of php on my website server is 4.4.7. Can you suggest anything else? Or do I need to call my web host provider back to have them enable something? Please reply back ASAP. Thanks,
  • Options
    Hooray, I'm in! My web provider changed the session path in my php.ini file. Now, I'm able to login. Thank you so much for the advice, Tee
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm having the same problem. no idea what's wrong/going on i have two installs on my server /board and /message_board i migrated over some of the DB from /board to /message_board but I'm unable to log into /message_board
  • Options
    Did you changed the cookie settings after?
    Did you upgrade to vanilla 1.1.5a at the same time?
This discussion has been closed.