Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Taking The Plunge

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hello everyone, I'm new to Vanilla and the community here. I've been testing Vanilla for the past couple of days to replace SMF for my MMORPG guild's forum. I must say Vanilla is so different and unlike any piece of forum system I've ever used before, but in a good way. I have found the greatest strength of Vanilla is it actually focuses on what really matters and that's promoting discussions which is the heart and soul of any community. I'm really sick and tired of all the other bloated forum systems out there and how they include everything and throw in the kitchen sink as a bonus. I'm 99% sure I will take the plunge, but the only concern I have about switching over to Vanilla is the reliability and contributions of the community add-on developers. I've noticed a lot of the add-ons haven't been updated in over a year (some 2 years) and the original developers have either lost interest or abandoned their projects. I would like to know will most of the add-on's work with the current and future versions of Vanilla? If not, how hard is it to create or upgrade existing extensions? I would only want to use a couple extensions, but for peace of mind I'd like to know the ones I will use won't be obsolete in 12 months time. Thanks in advance and it's great to be apart of the community!

Comments

• Options
    The Vanilla codebase is fairly stable. I think it would be safe to say that most extensions requiring 1.1.4 or greater will work without hitch. Best way is just test all the extensions you wish to use before making your new forum live.