Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing a second vanilla, deleting extensions, changing database password

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I want to install a second vanilla forum for my website, but i am not sure if i can do so on the same database (just changing the prefix during installation). Is this possible, or will i have to have a new database created for it? How do you delete extensions? removing the files causes problems. Is it better to just leave them but unengaged? Would i just need to edit the proper lines in the extensions.php file? If i change the password for the database, in how many filles would i need to update that info? I found it in one of the php files, but i am not sure if it is within several. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Hi, I'm not sure, but I think you can run two vanilla installations with one database if you change the prefix. I can't image a problem. If you only delete the extention files the line of code which had to load the extention will still be there. So: at first deactivate the extention and then delete the extention files (best way) or: delete the files and then delete the line for this extention in the extentions.php (if someone loads the page while the extention is deleted but the line of code is still there it will lead to an error) the password for the database only stands in the config.php - you will only need to change it once.
  • It should run completely fine by changing the prefix. As for deleting the extensions. Disable them, and then delete them. If you've deleted them and forgot to disable them, you can "turn them off" by going to conf/extensions.php and removing everything after the "Enabled Extensions" comment. To change the database password you only need to edit one file, located in: conf/database.php