Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 Public Beta

Comments

• edited July 2009
    It looks really nice! Very neat and interesting layout. I like it. I'm assuming this probably won't be possible though (or it'd be a lot of work) because a lot would have changed, but I'd have to ask anyway. Will you be able to upgrade a 1.1.x installation to 2.0 when it's released? EDIT: Another thing I noticed, can we still have Trebuchet MS as the default font? Helvetica looks weird on my system for some reason - I have irregular spacing between the characters.
  • I like it!

@Mark: How would Vanilla 1 extension developers go about porting their extensions over to Vanilla 2? Will they just have to wait till V2's source is released?
  • The V2 source code is available at github.com. It changes regularly so you're working with a moving target, but I have successfully created a facebook style chat application in V2 (albeit with some painful learning curve experiences.) For some of the simpler plugins, though, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get them going.
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Wow...Vanilla 2 looks awesome.

I like the new activity section. Very innovative, and effective in giving the forum a very social feel. Big ups on all the progress you guys have made...just when I thought Vanilla was fading away :P
  • edamedam New
    edited July 2009
    @saladyears: ah yes, thanks! I looked on github, but didn't realise it was an application in the Garden source tree...

Is it too early-days yet for a Vanilla 2 addon repository similar to http://lussumo.com/addons/?
  • I am really looking forward to the release of Vanilla 2. I can't wait, and so far the software seems great!
  • Vanilla 2 will soon be released. Wheeeeeeeeeee. I can't wait.
  • @Mark: why don't you mail users who want to subscribe every new release like me. actually it maybe very useful to send language files to translators, I really want this.
  • when will have a final version?
  • how close are we to version 2......days, weeks?
  • A few weeks at least, based on the type of checkins that are still going into the main branch.
  • edited July 2009
    Also, just to whet people's appetites for the things you can do with Garden, here's a screenshot of the application I've written for it:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5249/v2settlersonline.png

Users have friends lists, can invite others to be friends (and receive emails, notifications and activity entries), can join a general chat room for site wide chat, or open individual chat windows with people on their friends list. It's a stripped down version of what Facebook does. It's cost me a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get it to this point but I can say that Garden is going to be pretty kickass when it's ready to roll.
  • is it going to have the group feature?
  • @saladyears Do you plan on releasing that app? I know a bunch of my users would much prefer that, opposed to using IRC.
  • I'm trying to write it in such a way that it can be packaged up, but it's still going to require a lot of setup for the backend, which is currently running a Meteor comet server (http://www.meteorserver.org). You pretty much cannot run a comet server on a shared host, which may be limiting for a lot of people.
  • saladyears - thanks for the update on vanilla 2. By the way, will vanilla (and addons) still remain free? Love the look of your new application. Garden is gonna offer so many great opportunities.
  • I a writing a friends application at the moment aswell, but haven't got the chat (although i do have a chat script lined up) :p oh well. i will release mine anyways and then work on something new, maybe we could team up at some point. I have a javascript comet working with a php script that would work for everyone.
  • good work, Immersion.

It's gonna be great to see Vanilla 2, whenever a stable version gets released (I tried a week ago to install version 2, but I had fatal errors on trying to install it).

Looking for forward to the greatthemes that folks come up with.

It's also great to see Jazzman back here again. And it would be amazing if someone comes up with a dating/social network type application. I know Jazzman, at one time in the past, was keen to create a dating application for Vanilla.

• Jazzman used to create everything, i did some work with him for the to-do list plugin i believe. I vaguely remember writing the styling for a poll percentage bar aswell.
  • yes, Jazzman did some sterling work. I deployed his themes and many of his addons.

I love this place. You are all so creative and talented.

I have been keeping a website back, merely because of waiting for Vanilla 2. I usually go with SMF on websites these days. But Vanilla 2 has inspired me again (as was the case a few years back with Vanilla 1)