Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Limit Discussions

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is there any way to limit the number of discussions that a user can start within a particular time period?

I want to limit users to starting one discussion per week.

Thanks

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    There is spam control built in, but it doesn't allow the kind of limitation you're talking about.

In Vanilla 2 I could tell you how to do this pretty easily. In Vanilla 1, I don't think anything like this exists.

Would love to hear more about your project as I've never heard of anyone wanting to limit discussions on a discussion forum before :)
  • I work as a math tutor at a Canadian university. I want to allow students to post no more than one question per week that they need help with. Since I'm doing the online help as a free service, I want to impose the limitations so that I don't get overwhelmed with questions and also so that students might be inclined to sign up for paid tutoring (if they end up having a lot of questions).

I need a latex plugin in order to format the math equations properly and I haven't had any luck getting vLatex working with recent versions of Vanilla, so I'm stuck using Vanilla 1, unfortunately.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Is there a working vLatex plugin for Vanilla 1? I bet I (or anyone else on here) could port it to Vanilla 2 for you if you were having problems.

The way to impose a 1 post / week restriction would be to create a plugin that adds a "DateLastPosted" value to the user's Attribute's collection when that user posts a question. Then you could also do something like hide the "start a new discussion" button and/or form for that user until a week has passed. You could also put a message at the top of each page for that user stating the date that they'll be able to post again.