Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Very odd issue with new installation(s)

edited October 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Just fired up my new Vanilla installation. I'm having a very odd problem. I logged in for the first time, clicked "continue to discussions," and found that I was immediately logged out. I messed around, logged in again, and found that perhaps 50% of the time, when I click on the "Discussions" tab, or "Categories" tab, I am logged out.

So, I reinstalled Vanilla. Deleted everything, dropped the database, then started anew. No extensions. Nothing.

I've tired FF (2+3), IE8, and Chrome across 3 different computers (different OSes too: Vista, XP, OSX 10.5). I've tried to reset my cookies on all of these. I've reset my router to get a new IP address. Changed the domain.com/subfolder/ with a third installation to no avail.

I tried making a new, non-administrator account. No dice. Still getting the error.

No matter what I do, I cannot get this to work. I've had this problem in the past with Vanilla, around a year ago. I'm hosted with StartLogic, using MySQL version 5.0.45, PHP version 5.2.5. Brand spanking new, just downloaded (and yes, I tried re-downloading and re-unzipping from different computers, and using different FTP clients to ensure that it wasn't a local problem) Vanilla 1.1.9.

Is StartLogic doomed to forever hinder my ability to use Vanilla? I really love the simplicity of the software, but I've never been able to get it to... work. Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to stick with clunky old SMF.

[edit: moved to Vanilla 1. Sorry.]

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    The first thing I'd do is make sure that your session cookies are working properly. Vanilla 1 used PHP sessions, and there could be a configuration problem on your server related to that.

Up next I'd try turning off all addons (if you have any enabled).

Up next I'd look at the server config again - maybe something related to mod_rewrite?