Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

very basic, but I'm having a hell of a time.

edited December 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
so i use freehostia as a webhost. about 15 mins ago i downloaded the most recent version of vanilla. i very easily added the files to the server. i created a mySQL database on the server. i then got to the setup and went through it all completely fine, even noticing all the database files(im new to webdevelopment and could be using the wrong term) are now in my MySQL database. problem i'm having is that i now go to the forum, and it's looking to me as if it's not able to utilize the files or something. it looks incomplete. also once i log in it looks exactly the same and doesn't show me as logged in. here's a screen AFTER logging in

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2421/homepaget.png

any help is greatly greatly appreciated. i'm trying to get a forum going for a web project and this software looks very nice. thanks in advance

Comments

• I don't see anything wrong there, its plain vanilla installation and it looks that way unless you create some categories and add stuff to it.

If you are not showing as logged in, then whcih browser are you using? I face similar problem in Google Chrome but other browsers work jsut fine.
  • i'm using firefox. i guess i thought there was supposed to be some tab for administrative options or something? I don't see how to configure anything, or do I do that through the actual files teh site is comprised of?
  • i also tried using phpbb and the same thing happens basicly(im well aware this isn't the place to ask questions about a different forum type) i installed both forums and when i go to the homepage its a blank slate. when i log in, it logs in i guess but doesn't say i'm logged in or anything and theres nothing to customize. does this have something to do with global register globals and the fact that they are enabled on my server? or is this normal and im just not looking in the right place to configure?
  • Do you stay logged in when you select the remember me option?
  • freehostia is very crap alot of things wont work on it