Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Keep old vanilla URL for SEO reasons?

edited November 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
After importing my vanilla v1 discussions into vanilla 2 installation, discussion URLs have changed. This is not good for so many reasons, like links which already point to some discussions, user bookmarked links, google serp rankings etc.

Would it be possible to somehow remain the same URL as before?
Together with popular request for old pages navigation for comments (anti-"more" thread), this could make URLs same.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, I would never migrate my own site without a way of maintaining or forwarding discussion URLs. It's suicidal to break every content link. This is critical for imports.

The import shouldn't delete the ImportID of discussions after it's done, and there should be a Dispatch rule that 301 redirects /comments.php?DiscussionID=1 to the new URL.
  • Yep, I second what @Lincoln said. Never break a site's link structure, it's bad practice.

We want to migrate our board over to Vanilla 2, and it's critical for us to maintain old links, as we have wiki articles, search engine results, old emails, hand-scrawled Post-its, and more that would self-destruct if the links went away. Well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture. :-)

I may try a hand at writing this myself; first I'm going to check if the Vanilla 1 import maintains conversation IDs — if so, this will be a snap to implement.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @FoxyFred, it brings them along but then deletes them. I've just pushed an update that removes the deletion of the ImportID from discussions, categories, and users so that forwarding can be done:

http://github.com/lincolnwebs/Garden/commit/95292cc05c8e72843d3b4ac8589f043e73345a3f
  • Good stuff, glad to find this in my inbox this morning. This makes writing my plugin trivial. :-)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I just pushed a new version of the import controller that doesn't alter user, discussion, or comment ids. It may need some tweaking (I haven't tested thoroughly yet), but it will solve the problem without the need for import ids at all.
  • Now that is even more awesome. Almost done here.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Mark Nice! I'm back on the vBulletin import so this is very relevant to my interests at the moment.
  • @Mark I pulled the latest from the Dev branch in github, but I couldn't get the import script to go past step 4.

Anyway, here's my whack at a "Maintain Vanilla 1 links" plugin:
    http://gist.github.com/247626

Add a route to your config.php (example is in the file), enable the plugin, and all should work. I think there's a way to add configuration and/or routes automatically, but I haven't yet figured it out. :-)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @FoxyFred - that is awesome! We should probably package that plugin with Vanilla 2. If you sign the contributor's agreement, we can get it in there.

As for your problems at step 4 - do you have firebug enabled? See if you can watch the xmlhttprequests and see what error comes up.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    @FoxyFred @Mark Found the bug in step 4 - fixt and sent pull request. It was also the core of what was driving me nuts today.