Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Extended How-to install Vanilla 2

124»

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone seen the problem of php running as user 'nobody', so that certain files (config.php for example) are owned by the user 'nobody' and can't be modified except by that user? I have this problem and so for starters am not able to edit config.php.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @ewhillis That's definitely a problem to raise with your host. They'll need to fix that for you if you don't have shell access. The server isn't configured properly.
  • Options
    GoDaddy install error message for Vanilla 2 - any help is appreciated....

The connection parameters you specified failed to open a connection to the database. The database reported the following error:
    SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'b2b1019406401585'@'97.74.215.192' (using password: YES)
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Did you follow the advice of one of the other users with a similar problem: change your password on the server to something reasonable (not too long) and then try again?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I've installed on godaddy fine. If you are entering an ip address for your database host then I don't think that's correct. For the sake of consolidation I'm going to point you to the answer I gave on another thread.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/104375/#Comment_104375
  • Options
    Worked
  • Options
    I'm trying to install on a 1and1 server and get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting '(' in /homepages/26/d343337235/htdocs/vanilla/bootstrap.php on line 64

and line 64 of the bootstrap.php file is this:

Gdn::FactoryInstall(Gdn::AliasConfig, 'Gdn_Configuration', PATH_LIBRARY_CORE.DS.'class.configuration.php', Gdn::FactorySingleton);

I'm not so code savvy, can someone help me with this fix? I didn't manually give 755 or 777 permissions to anything. . . i'm not even sure how to do that.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2010
    @JiveDig What version of PHP is it running?
  • Options
    figured i would update for anyone else. . . with 1and1 i had to do what @contiveros suggested and it worked fine.
  • Options
    good job
  • Options

**I have tried same procedure mentioned by you.
    It is giving me following error.
    Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/rogueyoda/makemiweb.com/forum/library/core/functions.error.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/rogueyoda/makemiweb.com/forum/bootstrap.php on line 39

Can you help me ?

iamkeir said:
    Hey all,

I love Vanilla 1 to bits and was keen to try Vanilla 2 but kept running into issues which I could not resolve. I've finally got it up and running with the help of some helpful folk on this forum so I decided to write an extended how-to for Vanilla 2 in case you encounter similar problems to me.

I'd like to reiterate the developers' comments first by saying Vanilla 2 is still in development so you should bear this in mind if you intend on using it on a live site. It could be prone to unexpected bugs/behaviour. If you're unsure/concerned, use Vanilla 1 instead.

Extended How-to install Garden/Vanilla 2

1. Download the latest stable release of Garden from GitHub. What's Garden? It's the platform on which Vanilla runs - but don't fret, Vanilla forum is bundled in with this download.

2. Extract the .zip or .tar and copy the contents into the desired folder on your server. Remember to upload the .htaccess file in the root directory which may not be visible to you if you have these types of files hidden. Most FTP programs have an option to show invisible files if it isn't already set by default.

3. In /conf/config-defaults.php consider uncommenting line 47:
      // $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'deverror.master.php'; // <-- Use this error master view when debugging
      This will enable verbose error messages and is very useful when installing and setting up. These messages will help other forum users with diagnosing any problems you encounter. Of course, once happy with your setup, it's recommended to comment out this line once again, so users encounter 'pretty errors'.

4. Grant Read/Write permissions (777) to /cache/, /conf/, and /uploads/
      [EDIT] If your server is setup correctly, you shouldn't need to change these permissions - doing so is a security flaw. See the rest of the discussion for more info (thanks to those for highlighting this)

5. Create a database (name does not matter).

6. Browse to your install folder in your web browser, and follow the instructions on-screen.

As I said, if you encounter any errors and have completed step 3, you should have a verbose error - post this and any information about your server (PHP version etc.) and the steps you performed leading up to the error into the community forums.

Hope that helps - thanks to @benno and @bean for their help in getting my install working. I used their advice, my experience and the Documentation to provide the above information.

Good luck!