Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

System Message

edited March 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
System Message

Comments

• Options
    just to clarify: it's a message like the one you get when you first install vanilla that says "vanilla looks plain ... install addons" or is it a message like a discusion
  • Options
    It's sort of like the Announcement extension but improved. The messages that appear are intended to look like 'system maintenance' messages and as such look different to the rest of the forum. Have a look at the screenshot to see what I mean.
  • Options
    great! i was hoping for that functionality in the Announcement extension! The way that extension did it, it was like a success message, and would shrink away like a success message if you had FadeSuccess installed. instead of having it display once for each user, could we have a "remove this message" link in the top right. (like the admin message in a fresh install of vanilla), or provide it as an option. (display once for each user, or display until removed by each user)
  • Options
    excellent fyorl :D
  • Options
    I get this error: Parse error: parse error, unexpected '&', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /path/to/vanilla/extensions/SystemMessage/admin.class.php on line 77
  • Options
    Hmm, might be another PHP 5 thing. Also, it only technically counts as 'read' if the user clicks the 'close' button anyway. I'm not sure if that's what you meant. Anyway, try the new version for bugfixes.
  • Options
    Uploaded version 1.1 of System Message.
  • Options
    cool, I thought it would come up once, and then count that as read. I'll try the new version for bugs... --uploads v1.1-- nope, now it's on line 92: Parse error: parse error, unexpected '&', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /path/to/vanilla/extensions/SystemMessage/admin.class.php on line 92
  • Options
    My bad, should have spotted that when I fixed the first error. Updating the code now...
  • Options
    Uploaded version 1.2 of System Message.
  • Options
    well, you made it a few more lines... here's the new error on line 181: Parse error: parse error, unexpected '=', expecting ')' in /path/to/vanilla/extensions/SystemMessage/admin.class.php on line 181
  • Options
    Well that doesn't make much sense. That line has a perfectly valid function declaration. The equals come from setting some default variables. Try the new version anyway, I removed the pass-by-reference.
  • Options
    Uploaded version 1.3 of System Message.
  • Options
    well, no fatal errors, but I'm not seeing the permission I'm supposed to change...
  • Options
    this sorta works for me, the little book does nothing when i click it in safari and firefox, same thing with edit message in the corner
  • Options
    firebug says error in admin.js line 88
    $("PageLeft") has no properties SanityCheck()admin.js (line 88) initialize([dl#Page_1])admin.js (line 71) e()8bb850194973c2c29... (line 1) Start()admin.js (line 202) (no name)()admin.js (line 314) e()8bb850194973c2c29... (line 1) e(undefined)
  • Options
    Sadly, nothing happens when I click the "book". I'm assuming it's supposed to show a list of members, in which you can click to add to the "To" list..

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, it says "write/edit". Where exactly is the editing location?
  • Options
    ^ yes
  • Options
    I'm fairly new to Vanilla so I might need some redirection on how I'm approaching this but... I installed SM and am not seeing anywhere to enable: "Remember: You need to assign yourself the correct permission before you can access the System Message admin panel from the Settings tab" There are no new check boxes under Roles/Perms to turn on. I have checked my extensions.php file to confirm that SystemMessages/default.php was successfully added to the list. I also installed Mootools in case it was a requirement. Do I need to change something in a file rather than through the UI? Thank you!
  • Options
    ^ same problem I'm having ^