Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Cannot install Vanilla 2 - htaccess files not allowed

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hey,

My ISP doesn't allow htaccess files. This wasn't such a big problem with Vanilla 1, since I could still install it an protect some folders afterwards. It seems different with Vanilla 2 though. I just tried to install it, copied all the files on my server via FTP and now I am basically stuck on the installation screen.

Looks like Vanilla won't let me continue the installation as long as the htaccess files aren't copied on the server - which I can't do. So any help would be appreciated...I have no idea how to proceed and I really don't want to switch to another forum since I think Vanilla is an excellent piece of software. Is there any way to install Vanilla 2 without the htaccess files?

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    My advice is to drop that host like a bad habit.
  • Options
    hmm, well there is likely already a .htaccess file on the server, that is why. Is there any way you could edit that one on the server to include the few lines that are in the vanilla one?
  • Options
    haha @Lincoln, gp.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lol ye well it's the German Telekom so...

They said there should be a way to do it without the htaccess file, but I couldn't find anything about this on the web or these forums. Maybe I can prevent or trick Vanilla from checking for those files so I can still install it.

I'd just need someone who knows if an installation of Vanilla 2 without the htaccess files is possible or not.